My baby is a snacker!!

My son is 8 days old and I am breastfeeding him. He seems to want to snack than eat lately. He will latch on for a couple minutes and then get off, then 10 mins later he wants more! Is there anything I can do to get him to do a regular feeding?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 12:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is regular..his stomach is teeny tiny. I mean like marble tiny. And BM is absorbed and digested really fast, like faster than any food ever. So, he will eat a little and then come right back. Just keep putting him to the breast everytime he wants any and you will make more milk and he will eventually even out. Don't switch sides at any one feeding, switch between feedings.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• mine were sleepy eaters I found that keeping eye contact and tickling thier toes helped as well. Agree with above poster it is normal in a few weeks things will even out and you will find BF a snap.
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 12:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• babies will make their own schedule moma sorry but until he gets little older you just gotta feed him when he says so. :D
    bradymoma86

Answer by bradymoma86 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• That's his "schedule"... my first was the same way. Not a problem, just put him in a sling and he can have free access to the breast whenever he wants it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i think this is called cluster feeding....very normal...its natures way of making your breasts make more milk for your sweet LO...mother nature is amazing! i didnt BF for very long but i went thru this a couple times and it is tiring but there are so many phases...you never know what baby is going to do next, and neither do they! just go with the flow Mommy, youre doin great! GL!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It doesnt bother me that he like to eat frequently it just makes me wonder if he is getting enough. I know that I have enough milk supply because it poors out of me. I was just a little concerned, I wasnt able to bf my other 2 for this long so its sorta new to me :) thanks for your help!
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Count diapers. 6 a day and he's getting plenty to eat. You don't need to look at anything else.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Just keep following his lead and nursing him frequently (even if it has only been 10 minutes). You are still really early in the game. He is learning to deal with your fast flow of milk and your body is trying to figure out how much milk to make. You probably have way too much right now, but things will even out in the next few weeks.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• He's quite normal. Count dipes. 6-8 a day means he's getting enough.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010