How can the ANON feature be abused when we're all basically unknown to each other anyways?

The only way I can think of is in order to make comments ANON without it having being associated with your good repped screen name, so people don't necessarily know who to get after or bad mouth.

Even if they did, we're basically strangers to each other. Worse came to worse a person could always start over and no one would know em from any other screen name.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 12:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I agree with you zoeyis
    I feel pretty much anonymous on here anyway so I pretty much never use that feature.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Regardless of who knows who we get familiar with each other by screenname. The anonymous option can easily be abused to be mean and nasty to others by "hiding" behind it so you don't know "who" did it. Heck, it could be someone on your own friends list being terrible and you wouldn't even know it.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 12:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Before CM made the changes a lot of the rudest comments were coming from anon users.

Also, who wants to start over again? That's a major pain, especially if you have been on CM for a while. If people want to post anon, who cares? That's their choice.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Zoeyis, the anonymous option is there to be used for GOOD purposes - like posting questions and answers that may be sensitive NOT to be mean. Not using it for it's INTENDED purpose IS abusing it.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 12:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I can understand the wanting to be anonymous when it involves something embarrassing, but the people who use it just to be mean lose all respect for me. If you can't stand behind what you say, why should anyone take it seriously?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No, that's not true - alot of us know each other off Cafemom.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 12:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• but better than most of us are total strangers to each other
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• rude comments aren't against the rules. Anon gives the person that safety net of not having to hear people's crap via emails. What is someone typing angrily in CAPITAL letters gonna do anyways? Big whoop.

"If I find out who you are, ANON, I'll I'll....why I'll type a nasty gram at you in CAPITAL Letters...boy oh boy will you get typed at...so look out, you...ANON person you..." shaking in my boots lolol
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• @fire.... exactly. That can be seen as abuse or be seen as a useful tool. Sometimes (nastiness aside) you wanna ask something personal or contraversial without it being associated with you. You just want people input without any snide comments. May still get them, but they don't know who they are talking to so its falls on deaf ears.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree, Bandgeek, but lose respect for WHO? ;) thats why people use it that way, wrong as it is, I agree.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010