Helmets?

Does your school district require students to wear Helmets if they ride a bike to school?

The school district I am currently in now does not, but others that I have lived in do..

Do you think they should be required in order for a child to be able to ride their bikes to school? I do!

Soniam301

Asked by Soniam301 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in

• I think they should be required. In my town, it is a city law that they can fine you if ANYONE is caught riding a bike with no helmet.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• School District, no idea... the State does tho.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think all states should have helmet law for everyone, not just kids..and not just on bikes. All states have seatbelt laws for safety, why not helmets too. Our district requires all bike riders and motorcyclist to have a helmet on at all times traveling to and from school.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I haved live in cities like that also...I guess that is why I am so shocked that the school district here doesn't require, at the very least, students to wear them...

The last school district didn't enforce it until it was too late...and a severe injury would have been prevented...

I also feel it is the parents responsiblity.
    Soniam301

Comment by Soniam301 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It is a state law here (NY) not a school requirement. My kids also wear them for ice skating, roller blading/skating, sledding, skiing, skate boarding, motorcycles, mini bikes, snow mobiles etc etc. It doesn't have to be a super hard hit to the head to turn their brains into jello
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• How can the School District enforce them when the kids aren't on school property? They aren't law makers.
    At best they could only enforce to the point the kid's left the school grounds. What would be the point of that? No thats something the County or State takes care of and enforces, not the school.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My kids wear a helmet
    I rather be safe then sorry
    no1coachmom

Answer by no1coachmom at 12:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• it is by state law here... regardless of what the school thinks...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It is a parents responsibility, not the schools. A lot of states are now making it a legal issue. My state just passed an 18 and under law, so students would be required to ride with a helmet here.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 1:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Our district DOES require kids riding bikes or scooters to have their helmets on the path. I think it is a good idea.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010