Our family doc just called back

The nurse gave me my husbands blood work. He had high potassium and needs to come in today to recheck that and high cholesterol, triglyserides (sp) Dosent sound good. I figure I will wait to tell him until he gets home. If this is familiar to you do I need to start him on a new diet?

okmommy08

Asked by okmommy08 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Health

• The high potassium can be because the red blood cells were broken in his sample. That can happen if it was difficult to take his blood, it the tube got shaken too hard, if the sample wasn't transported properly, or other goof-ups. It is called a hemolyzed sample. A good lab would note on the results that the sample was hemolyzed. If it was sent to a large, very automated lab there may not be a way of making that kind of determination or notation. I've worked in both kinds of labs.

It's always good to eat a healthy diet. The DASH diet was designed for people with hypertension but it has turned out to be such a good lifelong eating plan that it is being recommended for people with other health issues and is good for everyone. If you go to google and type in DASH diet you will find a lot.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• After the re-test, talk to your doc about dietary changes. I wouldn't do anything drastic until then.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't know about the potassium, but for the high cholesterol and triglycerides I'd say YES. Does he have other problems like being overweight or having diabetes? Those will contribute to having high cholesterol.

Cutting out/down on eating animal products (meat, dairy), hydrogenated oils, refined starches (white flour, sugar, pasta, white rice) and fatty foods in his diet will help, as will implementing more high fiber, more natural foods. More raw or steamed veggies instead of canned or boiled, more salads, more whole grain foods, more cooked dry beans or lentils. He should also exercise as part of his daily routine. Losing weight can help lower cholesterol. If he's diabetic, getting those blood sugars under control will also help.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• in addition to what others have said, i highly recommend reading "the cholesterol myth". it is very quick and simple and really should be considered before taking any medication.
    gl with the re test!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Get rid of red meat.
    Eat fish at least two times a week.
    Check the saturated fats and cholesterol on all packages
    Pack his lunch.
    Stay away from fast foods.
    Exercise at least three times a week.
    Eat oatmeal. Surprisingly enough this is a real comfort food.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010