a question for jewish moms

I am a christian my 5yr old daughter asked me a question. so let me start with this basically we believe in your God we stem of of your religion. many times i have3 wondered... but my daughter asking me this really made me think they teach us a three in one God. but my daughter even said mom we have God jesus and the holy spirit... thats three Gods you said we only have one i dont know how to answer so here is my question. i have no jewish friends so what do you believe about God... i know in the ot God would send the holy spirit open ppl so what do you think abou the holy spirit and its roll and jesus to.

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 12:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Judaism believes that Jesus was a great prophet, but not any more the son of God than the rest of us are. I can't say for sure, but I believe the holy spirit is what Judaism would call God performing miracles, not necessarily a separate entity. I think that answers your question, but for more information, please check out http://www.jewfaq.org/index.htm for some information. Remember also that there are different beliefs within Judaism as within most religions, so one answer is not always what every Jew believes.
    Thanks for asking!
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 3:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Judaism does NOT believe Jesus was a prophet, Islam does. That's actually one of the main reasons Judaism doesn't believe that Jesus was the messiah, because the era of prophecy had ended. Prophecy in Israel can only exist when the majority of the world's Jews live in the land. This ended when the majority of the Jews remained in Babylon about 350 years before Jesus. The last 3 prophets were Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.

Continued....

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• In Judaism, G-d is ONE, plain and simple. Not one divided in three, or anything like that. We also don't believe that He ever did or will take a human form to come to earth, which I understand is what some Christian groups believe about Jesus (I could be wrong, my apologies if I am). As for the Holy Spirit, the Tlamud does mention "Ruach Hakodesh" which can be literally translated as "Holy Spirit" but with a very different view than Christianity. It's not a spearate aspect of G-d, it's just one of the aspects of G-d and it's usually used in the context of divine inspiration. When a prophet spoke, it was said he did it with ruach hakodesh, meaning by G-d's inspiration, which is what separated the true prophets from the false ones.

I don't know if this helps, if you have more questions, you can PM me or reply here!

Sharon
    momto2boys973

• My father is a Jewish convert to Christianity. I was raised as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in his Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. However, we believe in only one God. The reasoning behind this is fairly simple. All three are separate beings, as different as me and you. But they are one in purpose. Heavenly Father is God because he is the main, Supreme Being for this world. Christ is His son, a god in his own right because he has been exalted, but this isn't His world... It was created under Heavenly Father's direction. The Holy Ghost is a being we know little about - but he is a separate being, he works with Heavenly Father and Christ to bring about their work and glory - our immortality and eternal life. When I pray to God, I pray to my Heavenly Father. He is my God. Christ is my Savior and Redeemer.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 9:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010