How do you use cloth diapers and not have a baby with a "monster butt"?

I use prefolds and covers to diaper my daughter, but do not like how she has a "monster butt" that requires I buy larger pants to fit which end up too long. I think they look bulky and am really thinking about going back to disposables.

Mindy7610

Asked by Mindy7610 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• haha... monster butt. Yeah, it's an issue when they're itty bitty, but as they get older they kind of grow into them? We do still have some issues with pants, but for the most part we only have issues with brands that run REALLY small (like Roxy).
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I sewed the cloth diapers into a rounded hourglass shape, somewhat like a disposable diaper shape (20+ years ago). There are lots of ideas online. Here is a web site with lots of links. If the link doesn't work, highlight it and it should come up in your google search and then click search. If that doesn't work go to google and type in sew cloth diapers and it will be the diaper jungle one. There are also YouTube videos.

http://www.diaperjungle.com/sewing-cloth-diapers.html#Free Cloth Diaper Patterns

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I personally love the fluffy-booty aspect of cloth so it doesn't bother me. If I NEED to go trim, I use my BG AIOs, they seem to be very absorbent with less "fluff". Also, pocket diapers with Zorb inserts are pretty trim.
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Pocket diapers or AIOs will give you a trimmer fit. You can also fold the prefold in thirds and just lay it in the cover. It will be slightly trimmer.
    Mom2_Jimmy_Anka

Answer by Mom2_Jimmy_Anka at 2:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Prefolds aren't trim. That's part of the charm. I don't know why people bother to put pants on babies anyway unless going out. Babylegs are better and easier (keep the legs warm and easy diaper access), and if you buy pants wiisely that are stretchable they work fine. I never had a fit problem when I did use pants. Diaper covers can be very cute so no need to cover the cover with pants! Don't go to disposables for trim reasons. Why needlessly spend all that money just for the sake of a small butt?

fYI, Elimination communication is nice too, by the way, my baby has been diaper free 100% since 9 months old, before that part time diaper free.. A trimmer butt you'll never see! lol
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010