how do you thaw your meat? and for how long?

except ground beef....so chick breasts, pork chops, steaks, fish.......whats your method?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I've used the microwave on many occasions but found if you leave it in too long it takes the moisture out of the food. I prefer to leave it in the refrigerator for two to three days to fully defrost. It makes it easier to cook that way. How fast the food defrosts also depends upon how cold the inside of your refrigerator is set at too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I set it out on the counter til its thawed... prob. not the "correct" answer but that's what I do...
    unless I know the night before what I am going to cook and I can thaw it in the fridge over night
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I put it in the fridge for a day or two until it's thawed. If I'm in a hurry I'll throw something in the microwave on defrost, but I hate doing it that way and try to avoid it.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If i know what i am going to cook, i put it in the fridge the night before i wanna cook it....if not i thaw it in a sink full of cold water
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If I am using it that day, on the counter or in the microwave. Ours has a defrost function that actually works pretty well. If I am going to use it the next day or so, in the fridge.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We don't eat fish often, and when we do it is usually fresh, once in a while I'll have a frozen tuna steak and I thaw that in the fridge for a day, they seem to thaw fast. Ideally I prefer to thaw chicken, pork chops and steak in the fridge too, but most often I am scrambling for dinner, so assuming they are in an air/water tight packaging, ie, ziplock bag, I thaw them in warm water. Just takes about 15 mins.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• usually out on the counter, except chicken, it thaws fast so I just put it in water.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Usually under cold water. It depends on the size of the meat, but no more than 2 hours. If it's not thawed by then it goes in the fridge and we eat something else.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 12:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• In the fridge overnight. I used to do the counter thing, but not anymore. My dh freaks out about meat being left out of the fridge/freezer.
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 1:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If I remember I stick it in the refidgirator the night before. Other wise I use the suto defrost feature on my mircowave.
    mommabear53

Answer by mommabear53 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010