Would you pull a kid out of school if their sibling had hand, foot and mouth?

My 2.5 yr old just got diagnosed with hand foot and mouth. My dh wants me to pull my 4 yr old out of preschool till its out of the house. That could be for a good 2 wks!
Would you pull a kid out of school if someone in the family had something contagious like hand, foot and mouth or would you wait until they showed a symptom?
My 2.5 yr old is on day 3 of 7 (they say its gone in 5 to 7 days).

RosePetalTears

Asked by RosePetalTears at 1:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• That is really hard to say. I got it in high school, and so did three of my sisters. But my brother never got it. We did have it for almost three weeks, and continued going to school. But we were old enough to know not to touch everyone and everything. That spreads so fast. But I can understand no wanting my kid out for two or three weeks. That is a tough decision. GL to you. You know your kids better than I. =)
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i would u should let his school know what is going on at least
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• that is a tough one that i would consult with the doc on. never dealt with that dieases but i would think of it like chickenpox and wouldnt bother about it til the oldest started to show symptoms and try your best to keep the two kids from sharing anything.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• YES!!! For the sake of the other children in his Preschool. I would really appreciate it if my Son was in the same class & I would do the same if my Son had something contagious. After all it is only preschool. I think if more Moms would be more like this than ALL the children would not have to miss days of school. Lets help each other out.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Probably not, that's one of those things that all kids get atleast once or twice....
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My daughter had it and no one caught it from her. I wouldn't worry about keeping your child who doesnt have it out of school. There isnt any need to keep him out til he actually has it.
    babygirlayla

Answer by babygirlayla at 2:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would to be on the safe side. I would hate to be a parent and know another childs siblings hatd it & they were at school.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I probably would to be on the safe side.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010