What do you wish someone had told you before you had your first baby?

MistressMinerva

Asked by MistressMinerva at 1:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't lay in bed while in labor, move around
    Don't get pitocin
    Nurse more often if baby seem hungry, don't automatically offer formula. Babies stomachs are marble sized and BM is absorbed fast.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• to set boundaries between your family that you made and your inlaws. they will walk all over you if you dont
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Oh, lots of things...I wish someone would have talked to me about post-partum depression, encouraged me to nurse...that women support is so important...to trust my instincts....so much....but a lot of being a mother is learning as you go, so I don't necessarily think I would have listened to some of it anyway...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I wish Id been reminded that they are individual people right from the get go and to expect them to grow up and have their own opinions LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• that i wouldn't be a girl anymore...i'm now a MOMMY...lol according to my son anyway. uuummm...i had alot of advice and still do from ladies in my church, and i worked with kids...so i kinda knew what to expect...the sleep deprivation i knew about but never readied myself for it lol. oh that's one thing. i wish someone had told me to wake up at least 1 hour every night in my third trimester, just to get used to waking up...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• (1)That I will never Sleep deeply and fully
    (2) That I would never know love as I do now
    (3) That I would give up most things that I thought were important to me - only to find out that once I had my baby - they just were not that important i.e. shopping, eating out, getting to have girls night, etc.
    (4) That I can clean up puke, poo and pee without so much as a gag!
    (5)That I would gain "Mommy Reflexes" and be able to catch a glass before it hits the ground or a baby before she "flies" off the footstool..

Just to name a few~!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Not to go to the hospital as soon as my water broke!!!
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I wish I had someone to encourage me to nurse. My mother kept telling me to give him a bottle - and I did! I regret it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• 1) The baby may have a BIG poopy the first night you are home. The baby is NOT dieing! Take the baby, give it a bath, go back to bed! lol - I like to have had a heart attack because my daughter was covered in black stuff. She had pooped everywhere and I knew for sure she was dieing! lol

2) This one I figured out on my own. If your baby is running 101 + fever, rush them to the enarest urgent care or ER. Call ahead and state, "I have a VERY sick baby who needs to be seen IMMEDIATELY when I walk in the door." DO NOT accept no for an answer. If your pedi refuses to come see the baby, FIRE THEM!

I went through all of that and I am SO glad I followed my own advice abov which were my motherly instincts in action. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• To trust my instincts. With my first I always ran to the doctor, listened to them when they dismissed my concerns about his development. With #2 I now trust myself to know what is best, so many people put too much trust in others and not enough in themselves.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010