Gifts to butter up employees???

My husband asked me to make up some cookie trays for some of the people that work for him...... because his boss is a real jerk and keeps alienating his employees.
My husband can't get anyone to respond to his emails now because his boss is going on a rampage about how HE is the boss. So now husband has to try and smooth things out with everyone! ugh!!! This is a very simplified explanation for a very complex issue... but... Do you think that little appreciation gifts will help or do you think that he might need to try something else?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 1:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think little appreciation gifts will help. Also, just acknowledging extra effort or a job well done goes a long way, too; some bosses forget to do that.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Little appreciation gifts will make them appreciate your husband more, not necessarily the jerk boss though.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Hmmm. It is worth a try. It is hard to have good boss bad boss. Is there a HR dept that could help with bad boss? Some ppl have no ppl skills. It may take a little more than cookies to make them feel appreciated. Idk.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• A little something may help, but it could also backfire. Be careful.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 5:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm confused on how it could backfire. Maybe it won't butter them up, but I don't think getting cookies has ever made anyone mad.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• not really an HR dept...
    my husband is in the army... works with a lot of civilians... his boss is a Lt Col... the employees are all civilians...
    boss def has very little in the way of people skills so its left to my husband to try and make everyone play nice together
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010