Do You Bake Your Own Bread?

Today is my first loaf of the season, it's too hot for me to bake in the summer. I'm so excited, I love homemade bread.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 1:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I certainly do. Being an observant Jew I bake my own challah bread for shabath. I usually do an extra batch and I make hamburger and hot dog buns with it, it's wonderful.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• OMG I adore homemade bread! My problem is I almost always overeat. Warm bread + butter = HEAVEN!
    Do you bake for sandwiches and every day use? Or do you just do like the specialty breads? I haven't done sandwich bread, and I'm not sure that I could cut it thin enough for sandwiches.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I sure don't..never have, but I'd like to try someday.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yep. We go through so much, its cheaper that way. And healthier
    armywife7885

Answer by armywife7885 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I bake Challah on the weekends but buy sandwich breads and rolls during the week.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i used a bread maker to bake my bread
    zionprincess

Answer by zionprincess at 2:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes, just made a loaf yesterday and it's already gone. I got this book, "Artisian Breads in 5 minutes a Day" and it's great because no matter how busy I am, we can have fresh bread everyday. I also make rolls and sweet breads and specialty breads.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes i do! I've been nursing a good starter for my sourdough. I've been feeding the starter rye instead of whole wheat. Can't wait for my first loaf of sourdough this season! It's my favorite bread. Do you use a machine or do you kneed by hand?

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I like basic white bread, I've played around with recipes and found one that the whole family loves; DH and I like it for sandwiches and with pot roast (which I'm also making right now). I can't get it cut thin enough for sandwiches for the kids, they would rather have store bought. I overeat it too!! Yum!

I make some pumpkin & zucchini bread too, but nothing crazy :)
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would love to be able to, but it's just too hot here to run the oven. I have a bread machine, but it's just not the same at all. :( Enjoy your homemade bread, sounds really good! ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010