How long before do you begin to lactate?

lynnianda

Asked by lynnianda at 12:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Some women don't leak or produce anything until the baby is born (when you produce colostrum immediately after birth) while others start leaking in the first trimester. If this is your first, then you are not likely to begin lactating before the 3rd trimester. With my first, I didn't see anything until after he was born, but with my second I leaked on and off from 9 weeks. It just depends on your body.
    amazon_jane21

Answer by amazon_jane21 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i started like at 8 months but my dactor told me not to mess with the milk like don't make it come out your self because thats the most important milk to give the baby
    Destiny987

Answer by Destiny987 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Your actual milk doesn't come in until a day or several days after birth. In the last part of pregnancy and the first several hours or days after birth, colostrum is produced but not actual milk.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I had colostrum a few hours after my daughter was born, milk 2-3 days later.
    ellaura

Answer by ellaura at 3:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Your milk will come in about 3-5 days after the baby is born. But don't worry, your baby won't starve until then. You'll produce a "pre-milk" substance called colostrum which is a yellowish looking fluid right after birth, maybe even at the very end of your pregnancy. This will tide the baby over until your milk comes in. Then watch out, you'll have Dolly Parton boobs!! LOL!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I am 26 weeks prego & I started producing a little of the clear liquid (maybe it's colostrum already) a few weeks ago. It doesn't leak out yet, but I can get some out if I give my nipple a squeeze. This is my 2nd baby... it didn't come in this fast the first time for me.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2008