How long are your nursing sessions with your 3 month old?

Since birth I've been doing about 15-20 minutes at 1 breast every 3-4hours. But now she seems hungrier. Should I do both breasts? 15min at each one? Or 10min or 20min? If I nurse till she pulls away, it'll be 40min each. She never pulls away when she's full, she just keeps sucking empty breast like a pacifer. How long do you nurse your 3 month old?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you are NOT a pacifier. A pacifier is a mommy substitute.
    I never clock watch especially that age. If she wanted to suckle for 40 minutes and then wanted back on 15 minutes later she got it. If you need or want to learn howto nurse in a wrap or sling so you can be on the go. Suckling increases supply especially for growth spurts. She always gets one side and I offer the other only if she seemed to want more. Switching off and going too long between feeds can mean that the baby doesn't get the rich fatty milk and can impact your supply if you feel engorged between feeds.

My advice is to cover up your clocks and take off your wrist watch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I nurse one side per feeding. I nurse as long as they will nurse.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It sounds like she is going thru a growth spurt. Let her nurse as long as she wants from both sides. She is prompting your body to make more milk. It usually lasts a week then it will the length and occurances of nursing will slow since you are producing more at each session.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The recommendation is to "finish the first breast first". That means wait until the child stops on the first. If that's 40 min then that's fine. Then if they want the other breast they can nurse that one. Nursing on demand means nursing when the baby wants, as long as the baby wants. The baby knows best. Watch the baby not the clock. If you nursed only every 4 hours that would only be 6 times a day. A 3 mo may still be nursing 8-12 times a day. Nursing one breast only 15-20 min every 3-4 hours probably isn't enough to meet her breastmilk or sucking needs. Most breastfed babies spend hours every day at the breast. When she suckles and you think they aren't getting milk she isn't using you "like a pacifier". That suckling is important for maintaining supply and the for the homones necessary to maintaing the breastfeeding biological relationship.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Let her nurse! At 3 months I was nursing for 30-40 mins on one breast each feeding every 2 hours. By 4 months she had gotten quicker and would be done with most feedings in 20 mins or so.
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Babies usually go through a growth spurt at around 12 weeks and it sounds like your baby hit one. I would nurse on one side for 25-30 minutes and then offer the other side.
    Mom2_Jimmy_Anka

Answer by Mom2_Jimmy_Anka at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You should not unlatch your LO yourself. Wait for her to unlatch, then offer the other breast. If you burp her between she'll be more likely to nurse from both. If she is getting milk she will continue to nurse, if your breast was empty she would release. Average at that point for my dd was about 40 minutes total, if not more. They grow a lot at this point and can go for some nursing marathons!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010