Do you think crocheting and knitting are "old fashioned" and just for Grannies?

I sometimes get my grandmother used to do that when doing crafts in public. Does that bother you. Personally I find it funny and say too bad she isnt here I would love to learn new patterns and such.

steveiguana

Asked by steveiguana at 1:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Nope, not at all. I've been knitting for a few years now and I'm only 33. I taught myself. Then I taught myself crochet. I've always got a few projects going. My kids love getting hand knit things (the other day my 10yo was going on and on about this sweater I knit her a couple years ago and she just found in a box...it doesn't even fit her anymore but she loves it and so does her friend). And her friend's mom knits. They surprised me with a blanket and hat for our 2mo son (we just moved here so I haven't met the mom yet). I'm going to knit the girl this toy called a "Bob". Looks like an elephant without ears. My kids love them and she saw theirs and wants one.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No..My MIL is crocheting my soon to be born baby a blanket & she's not old at all.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• no its awesome!!!
    I get the same thing from people because I hand embroider :) they're just jealous! hahha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No love to do both. When I watch TV at night I will do one or the other. I also do it while I sit on the bleachers during my son's swimming lesson that way I can still talk to the other moms.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 1:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It is 'old fashioned', but not just for grannies!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I did. I thought it was a dying art. Until I learned a lot of younger women are knitting and crocheting.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I grew up crocheting and I started learning to knit after my daughter was born 2 years ago. I don't think it's old fashioned at all.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I knit in public all the time and find it's a wonderful conversation starter. Definitely not old fashioned, although it is amazing how crafts go in and out of fashion. Knitting is here to stay for awhile though.
    Knit2Purl2

Answer by Knit2Purl2 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• hell no! I love crocheting and i'm 29! I crochet in public sometimes. very relaxing!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Nope, my sister is 28 and knits like a maniac. She always makes really cool things for my girls. I personally wouldn't have the patience for it but its her thing. I admit I kind of teased her about it when she started it but she is really good so that ended quickly.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010