How Do You Make Your Own French Fries?

I have never had much luck with making my own french fries. I would like to learn how,so does anyone have a recipe? I don't have a deep fryer.

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 1:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I've never made them, but my grandma used to. She would just slice them up. . and since you don't have a deepfryer.. fill up a large pan with vegetable oil and let it heat up.. then drop the fries in & it will fry them just as good that way.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sorry, we use the fryer. My husband just slices them more into circles than the regular french fry cut, fries them until brown, then pulls them out and salts them. YUM! I'm sure you could do the same thing on the stovetop in a heavy pan.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• When I make them in a skillet, I peel the potatoes, cut them up in the size slices that I want, Add them to oil in a skillet, add salt and pepper. Then I cook them on medium heat until they get to the crispness I want.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you are feeding about 3 adults, then this is what I do (I say three aults for my SO, myself and my two kids... I figure that is about the same as three adults, lol)

You are going to want to buy vegetable oil or the cooking oil you prefer. Heat that about 10-15 minutes on a medium heat before you are ready to put your fries in. When you are ready to put them in, put one smaller fry in there first to see if it sarts to bubble and sizzle. If it does then you are ready. If not then wait until that one begins to cook to put more in. A larger surface works better also as you can put less oil in (in an average sauce pan I'd say put up to about 1 1/2 - 2 inches worth of oil in the pan) and you can spread the frys out more evenly.

Take about 6 medium sized potatoes (or 3 large) and peel the skin off of them. First slice them in chunks about 1/2 an inch thick. Do this on the side (width part) of the potato.

(cont)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you were looking at the potato this is what it should look like (with slices): ( | | | | )

Then take those slices and cut them into the strips for the fries. ( | | )

Clean them off and cook! :)

Hope that helped! Message me if not!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I do and yu need no real recipie.just peel slice heat up the old and fry them til they are light brown
    zionprincess

Answer by zionprincess at 2:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• peel. slice. place in boiling water 2-3 minutes. onto tea towel to dry and cool. Heat oil. place DRY fries in, not too many at a time. fry low and slow (on medium). invert a cooling rack over some newspaper. drain. I use either garlic s&p, cavendar's greek seasoning or Mediterranean spiced sea salt to season.
    sprime

Answer by sprime at 2:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i want to try Rachel Rays "sweet potato fries" she bakes them...a little on the healthy side!
    andee1216

Answer by andee1216 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We oven fry - cut them steak-fry size, toss them in olive oil and seasoning, then bake on a cookie sheet.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010