What age is safe to start feeding peanut butter?

My daughter is 20 months old- when can I start giving her peanut butter?

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 2:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if there is no history of peanut allergy in the family, and if (s)he is a good chewer, 9-12 months.
    sprime

Answer by sprime at 2:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm pretty sure the rule is 1 year, not positive though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Depends on if there is a peanut allergy in the family... and is sh a good eater (doesn't choke easily).
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No allergies that I know of... I always thought it was 2 years old for peanut butter and honey... I can't remember though
    newmamanew2town

Comment by newmamanew2town (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I was always told 2 years so that is what I did.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My pedi told me to hold off on peanut butter for awhile, he's 13 months now. If he gets any peanuts, its in little doses, like in a bite of ice cream or crackers. I thought I heard 2 yrs though.
    Stephernie88

Answer by Stephernie88 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We don't have any history of peanut allergies in our families so we started giving it to our kids at a little over a yr.
    mom2abby06

Answer by mom2abby06 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• According to my doctor and everything I have read, you should wait til at least 2. Otherwise, you run the risk of her developing an allergy.
    SUSAN81900

Answer by SUSAN81900 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You are supposed to wait until at least 2 if you have no knows allergies to peanuts...That being said...my daughter was 11 months old and my sister was babysitting her, gave her a cracker with peanutbutter on it and she had to be rushed to the emergency room because she went into anaphylactic shock...nobody that we know has food allergies. So I suggest anytime to give your child something new that you keep a close eye on them for any reaction. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to be introduced to certain foods before there is a reaction. Normally if there is no history of an allergy you should be fine though...I dont want to scare everyone into never feeding thier child anything new.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Our pediatrician told us 2, so that's how long we waited with my son even though we don't have any peanut allergies in our family.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 6:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010