4 kids with only a 3 bedroom house????

I have a 3 bedroom house and already have 3 boys, but I really want another baby. Anyone else have a small house w/ 4 kids????

ttfntigger13

Asked by ttfntigger13 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a small house with 3 kids. What are you going to do if you have a girl this time? Are the 3 boys going to share?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well we have a two bedroom house right now.. with two little girls & one on the way. The two older ones share a room & the baby will sleep in our room
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The first home I owned was 680 square feet, with 2 bedrooms. The family we bought it from (elderly couple by the time they sold) raised their EIGHT children in it.

The second home I owned had an addition put on it to make it 1150 square feet, and a third bedroom, but the family who lived in it when I was a child had 4 kids when I was a kid.

The house I live in now is 3 bedrooms and the family that lived in it first (it was built in 1963) had 4 children.

We're used to the idea of every human alive having 100 square feet to themselves with a door... but it's not 'normal' in the world (if 'normal' is what the vast majority do) nor in history --not even recent, North American history.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Right now the 2 older boys share a room, so all 3 of them would have to be in the same room if we had a girl. I have a portable crib in my bedroom that the baby still sleeps in and he just turned 1.
    ttfntigger13

Comment by ttfntigger13 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I grew up in a 3 bedroom house with 4 sisters and 2 brothers. Once the baby was no longer in with mom, he or she moved into the boys or the girls room as appropriate. Was it a royal pain? Yes. Did any of us suffer in the long run for it? No
    Knit2Purl2

Answer by Knit2Purl2 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Start bunkinig them up! My mother was one of 5 children, and it was a super dooper small house... 3 bedrooms(I have no idea how they squeezed 3 bedrooms out of it). I have 2 children and a step daughter. They each have their own room.. but im seriously thinking about bunking my two children when the youngest turns two.. that way i cna have a Toy room and GET MY DAMN HOUSE BACK!!!! TOYS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have four kids in a 3 bedroom but I have 2 and 2 so if you have another boy then I guess you would be alright
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 2:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We have 3 bedrooms and 5 kids. Our 3 girls (10, almost 8 and 4 1/2) have 1 room and our almost 9yo boy has the other. When the baby is sleeping through the night he'll move in with his brother (he's 2 months old right now). And that's how it will be for a long while because we won't be able to afford anything bigger and most likely won't have anything bigger than a 4 bedroom. The bedrooms here are pretty small but we have 2 living/family rooms and don't have a dining room table so that's the art/puzzle room so there is plenty of room for them to play. Since we moved here, though, they've barely been in the house. They spend all their time outside playing with their new friends.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Thanks so much everyone!!! We are lucky enough to have a play room, so they don't use their bedrooms for anything but sleeping. We can't turn the playroom into a bedroom because it has a door to our back porch. Thanks again, I was feeling guilty for wanting another baby knowing our bedrom problem.
    ttfntigger13

Comment by ttfntigger13 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We do but thankfully only one boy, three girls and two girls full time. My SO's daughter comes over every other weekend so we made one bed into a trundle bed to slide it under the other and they take turns sleeping on it when we have lots of girlies in the house, lol. They LOVE the trundle bed thing too! Your boys may like something like that?

BTW we have a 3 bedroom house so the baby boy has his own nursery, we have our bedroom and the girls share their room because at our last house where they had their own rooms they slept together anyhow. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010