2400 Calories? Really?

www.mypyramid.gov

So this site...tells me that I need to eat 2400 a day to lose weight. I don't think I can eat that much.
I started doing aerobic exercises in the morning, bc I'm not losing weight...even though I'm eating a WHOLE lot less than I used to.

Really I need to eat that much!?!

SarahNKnapp

Asked by SarahNKnapp at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Go to caloriecount.com & start adding your calories. Before i went on caloriecount, i NEVER would have thought that i could consume 2400 calories in a day. But, it's actually a lot easier than one would expect. If you are over weight and/or tall...your body is going to use more calories just to survive. Short, skinny people use less calories in a day. I am 5'2" and i weight about 135. If i am sitting ALL DAY and not doing a damn thing, my body will only burn 1700 calories. If i am active & work out, i will burn more. Anyhow, hight & weight has a lot to do with it. My good friend is 250 lbs. Because she is so heavy, her body burns 2600 calories just when she is sitting. She has to eat 2200 calories a day in order for her to lose weight. That is a 400 calorie deficit for the day. Start counting your calories, even the juices you drink have lots in them. You'll be surprised how easy it is to rack them up.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and will start storing food rather than burning it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Wow that is a lot of calories!!!!
    About 3,500 calories adds up to about 1 pound. This applies whether they are food calories coming in, or calories (burned by exercise) going out.
    A person who needs about 2,000 calories per day should only have about 65 grams of fat or about 600 calories from fat.
    Try this website you can start your food diary and your exercise counter. Good Luck girl.
    http://www.self.com/
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 3:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• its not as much as you think it is

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It depends. How active are you? I'm really active and I only take in 1900 calories a day, more on exceptionally active days. Those calculators also take your height and weight into consideration, so if you are larger of course you'll need more calories to sustain your body.
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 2:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• That seems like a lot to me. How tall/active are you and how much do you weigh? I work out 6 days a week and consume about 1500-1800 calories a day (I'm 5'6" and 132 pounds) to maintain my weight. I've come to this number through trial and error and I use caloriecount.com also. Sundays I allow myself to splurge a bit, but not more than 2400 calories.
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would say that 2000 is a better number to work with at first to see results.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 4:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• not sure.....
    CarolineDezon

Answer by CarolineDezon at 4:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Does it have anything for those who've had bariatric surgery? I knoew we can't eat 2400 calories a day.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm 5'9"amd 205lbs. I dont eat much bc I am on some meds that severly decrease my appitite. (they are not for weight loss) I am also lactose intolerant so I can't have a lot of stuff.
    SarahNKnapp

Comment by SarahNKnapp (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010