Really close to a break down....

Here it is...My son is 8 wks. exactly today and he has been having problems since he was about 2 wks. First, he had a plugged nose then a few days later he had blodd in his stools. The dr. put him on similac sensitive which helped with his stools but not his nose. next they thought it was reflux and said to put cereal in his bottles and give him mylanta..stilll no luck. Then we switched his formula to nutramigen and he isnt eating and he is throwing up 1-3 times a day. He acts like he's in pain. I don't know what to do..should I try another formula like allimentum? What's the difference between the two? I can't handle seeing my son in pain. My husband and I have been on edge and I've been crying. I just want answers and no one seems to know anything......:(

babygirlayla

Asked by babygirlayla at 2:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry I dont have any answer just hope you find out what he has soon.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm not a breast feeding nazi or anything, but maybe you should try. Also, keep in mind, he will out grow this and get on track. Good luck mommy!! If you can't nurse, I would stick with one formula and no cereal. It seems like too much to introduce so soon. Let him rest that belly.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• (((hugs))) i dont know anythign about formula..I do know my dd is 8 and I rememeber those enwborn days like they were yesterday. I wish I could have enjoyed them more but the reality is they are vey hard!! Just keep trying what hte doctors say. You may have to use google and researcha little. Take a walk and get some air when you can and nap when you can. I promise these days wont last forever! Good luck..ill bump and see if you can get some answers!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Momma take a deep breath................ Okay, What kind of bottles are you useing? I had the same problems and I had to use the Dr.Brown bottles and I had to give my DD enfamil gentalease for fussiness and gas.
    I know how you feel i was in tears all day long when my DD was going though this she still has smoach issues and she is 2 1/2 yrs but with the formula change and bottle change i noticed a difference in a bottle feeding. If you want to talk more I am happy to hear from you. Pm me anytime. I promise this will get better and your sleeping will come. Also when he seem like he is in pain, rub his back from top to bottom keep your legs together and lay him across your legs.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Talk to the doctor about getting your son on Prevacid. My daughter screamed for 8 hours straight and projectile vomited after every feeding until we got her on Prevacid. She ended up with some developmental delays because she was malnourished. After getting on Prevacid she finally gained weight and now at 3.5 years old she is slightly smaller than her peers but has completely outgrown both her delays and reflux.
    Mom2_Jimmy_Anka

Answer by Mom2_Jimmy_Anka at 2:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I decided not to breastfeed my son because my daughter had a protein allergy and it was all a nightmare. I wanted to give him a better start but he seems to have it worse then my daughter. Breastfeeding would just make that worse but thanks anyway. It's not the newborn thing I can't handle, he's such a good baby. Im getting plenty of sleep, my problem is that I hate seeing him hurt.
    babygirlayla

Comment by babygirlayla (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Im using the dr. browns so that's not the issue. We are using colic calm as well and that is making him happier but I want the actual problem fixed. It's so hard when they can't tell you what's bothering them. thanks ladies for all the concern.
    babygirlayla

Comment by babygirlayla (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Similac Alimentum and Enfamil Nutramigen are hypoallergenic. They have no milk product in them. My daughter had to be on that kind of formula. It was horrible, for about the first two months, until I got her in to see a specialist. She screamed from the time she ate until she either went to sleep or it was time to eat again and was constipated. Do you have a pediatric specialist in your area? I had to change her to a specialist who diagnosed her in about 5 minutes. I know it's hard but you have to keep talking until you find a doctor who will listen.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sorry I don't have any answers, but I agree go to a specialist. The problem needs to be diagnosed asap. Good luck!!!
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My pedi recomended putting a little probiotic in my son's bottle to help him digest easier. I use a probiotic called rheuteri. Maybe mention it to your doctor. Take deep breaths! I can imagine you're stressed, but hopefully you will find answers soon! Good luck and hang in there!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010