vaginal strep test

hey has anyone that's pregnant had this done before? Just got word that it is a new test that doctors do at 36 weeks. If tested positive, you will have to be on penicilin 3 hours before delivery.

Tanisha709

Asked by Tanisha709 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, this is a standard test for group B strep. My midwives offered the option to treat with probiotics and retest if you came up positive the first time so that you could avoid the IV during labor.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm not sure how long they've been doing it, but it's not that new. It's a standard test. It's not an STD but it can cause the baby problems so if you have it, they give you an intervenous antibiotic while you're in labor.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• not really a "new test". But yes I've heard of it, and had it done, 4 times in the past 7 years.
    Jessica_5

Answer by Jessica_5 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think that just about everyone has had it done now. I t was very important for me to get done because we had a death of a little ones in the family because of it so we are particularly cautious when it come to it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• First, every woman gets it because if they are positive, medication needs to be given during labor so that the baby doesn't get it. If given before labor, it will not help. It can cause death.

Second, it's not a vaginal test. They swab the area between your vagina and ass.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• yes, better to be safe than sorry
    SUSAN81900

Answer by SUSAN81900 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i had the test and was positive...it is no big deal...but you will have to keep a close eye on the baby for up to 2 months they can get sick! not that us mom's don't keep an eye on our LO's!!
    andee1216

Answer by andee1216 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes I had that test in 2006 before I delivered my Son. It was negative. How do you get Strep there anyway?? Just curious, not bashing at all.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes and I teststed positive. They just gave me anitibiotics in my iv. Nothing else. Babies ahve been fine! Thi strep they say is very common after you have your first baby.
    cparra74

Answer by cparra74 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i was positive, but at delivery couldnt get the antibiotics, so my son was tested as soon as he was born the test takes 42hrs, thank god he was fine. but my mother in law was neg and at delivery she was positive and her baby got a blood infection and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. even if your pos or neg at 36 weeks you can be the opposite on the day you deliver (according to my o.b) so its kinda pointless to even check?
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010