What do you think is worse? Your daughter being gay or your son being gay?

I actually know many parents who say they are more worried that their son would be gay than their daughter. A few said it was because if their son was gay then they wouldn't be "carrying on the family name".

How do you feel about this?

I feel like either way is equal and their decision. Neither would affect me any more than the other.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Neither. Just because your son is straight doesn't mean he'll have kids, and just because he's gay doesn't men he wouldn't adopt.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Honestly.. I wouldn't care if my son or daughter were gay.. they are still my children & I would love them the sameā™„
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Neither would be a bad thing.

If I had a daughter, it wouldn't matter if she were gay or straight.

Just like it wouldn't matter to me if my only son were gay or straight.

Being gay, being straight. Both are the same in my eyes. A person is who and what they are. Neither is right or wrong, neither is a sin or an affront to God (or me..)..

I would react the same to my son being gay, the same way I have reacted to him being straight. That would be no reaction and accepting him, loving him, supporting him for who and what he is.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• neither is bad in my opinion, but my generation is more open minded than others too. The fact is that we already feminize our male children and push our females to become tougher and work harder than the gender role really requires, thank you feminism. But i look at it this way- love your children for who they are. They develop personalities on their own, picking and choosing from the sources around them. There are plenty of reasons why a child might end up gay, but the point to make is that they love someone. who cares what they do behind closed doors? and who cares who that affection goes to? love is love, and it is rare to find these days. take it where you can get it and be grateful for the love you have.
    Oobersezzy

Answer by Oobersezzy at 2:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It would not bother me either way. However it would bother me A LOT if either one were homophobic.
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• neither...I just want my kiddos to be happy and safe.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• neither. But I have heard the same, even from my ex husband.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't think it matters one way or the other. The only difference is that it would be harder for a son to have children, since he would have to rely on either adoption or surrogacy. He might not be able to experience the joy of being a parent, and that would be sad.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't have daughters,so I can't say I'd worry more about one than the other.

BUT, if either of my sons came out to me, I wouldn't love them any less. I would worry about their futures in how the REST of the world treated and reacted to them, but it wouldn't change anything in how I feel about them.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010