Is it harder to potty train if you use cloth diapers?

I was thinking maybe with the next child I have I should try using cloth diapers. Would it be harder to potty train? Share your experiences please.

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 2:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, everyone I've talked to says it makes it a LOT easier... because they don't like the feeling of being wet... with disposables they don't feel when they are wet so it takes a lot longer to train them to go on the potty
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am really going to consider it then seems cheaper and better on the trash man lol
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I didnt cloth diaper my son his entire infancy, but I would think it would be easier. Cloth diapers dont have the heavy leak guards as disposables do, so once the cloth diapered child starts knowing the feeling of going, I would assume they'd be on board faster! But all children are different. Some know the feeling of going while wearing disposables too!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I've always heard it was easier to potty train cloth diapered kids.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No, in fact it's usually easier b/c the child can feel the pee/poo better. Also you will already be dumping poo in the potty, so the child will already know that poo belings in the potty. (I think that's often one of the first steps in some potty training prgorams - putting the poo in the potty).
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have also heard it is easier if you use cloth. But, each child is different. My DD isn't training, yet and I had to switch to disposables at 2 with my DS due to daycare, so I don't know from experience.
    Juniper53098

Answer by Juniper53098 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Go to Babies R Us..they have a great training diaper type pant that can be washed and snaps on. I found mine at a Carter's Outlet and they were very cute coming in different colors. Or use cloth diapers, but I loved something that snapped.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 2:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I used cloth with my first born and he was potty trained much earlier than my second who I wasn't able to use cloth diapers on. Unfortunately the day care wouldn't take him with cloth diapers. I can definitely attest to it being much easier with cloth.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I do not have a baby right now. My oldest is 2 and she is already potty trained. We are planning another child right now. Just thinking of different things to save money and make our lives a little easier.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 7:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I dont think it would be since you would be doing the same thing.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010