why is it when you take a nap sometimes you wake up more tired?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Health

• Not sure, I think it has to do with the level of sleep you reach but man I hate that feeling
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am not sure but that is why I stopped taking naps years ago. ;-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• For me, it's because the quality of sleep I get during a nap is very poor. There is too much going on in the house, so the sleep is broken all the time.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My doctor told me that when you nap, sometimes for longer than twenty or so minutes- which is the recommended amount before you start actually feeling groggier than you started (REM cycle breakage)- that you can get a low in blood sugar. So, she suggested to me that you should snack before you nap, just some toast or juice or something. That way you are not slogged down and trying to force yourself to rise and shine. Also, if your sleep is seriously broken (mine has been) then you tend to want to over sleep when you do get the chance. Over sleeping makes you feel worse. set an alarm.
    Oobersezzy

Answer by Oobersezzy at 2:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Too much sleep
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Someone told me it is about your sugar levels.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sometimes I think it's because you didn't get the REST you need. There's a difference from rest and sleep. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 2:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I was wondering that when I woke up from my nap a few hours ago. My son and I passed out on the recliner while watching a movie. I woke up feeling assy. I thought it was because I don't get into the deep sleep needed and I am not in my normal position or in my bed. I won't do that again. (yeah right).
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it has to do with glucose levels.
    NeonSign

Answer by NeonSign at 2:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It has something to do with that your body is at rest but your mind is not. Before you lie down for a nap or for the night, our minds are feel with what we did that day, what we didn't do that day and should have, or it could be about what we need to do tomorrow. It can be about another person or just something that may have trigger a memory. We dream during the first five minutes and dream again before we wake up. In between is all these randowm thoughts. Also, sometimes being tired is a sign we may need to have a check up to see if there is any underlying problems going on. Either way, don't stop napping, but don't think it is the perfect energize solution. Also, be sure the room is completely dark, cool, and quiet when you do nap. Don't eat a big meal, sugar, caffeine before you lie down. Hope this helps. It worked for me. I had to pay a Doctor for this advice to find out it was basically common sense.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 2:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010