Do you think pregnant women should sit home and do nothing? Just to be safe!

Besides the typical pregnant women shouldn't smoke (which is true!) and pregnant women shouldn't drink (no studies have ever proven an occasional wine/beer is harmful) I hear all these people say things like "you shouldn't exercise when your pregnant" and other similar things you shouldn't do while pregnant because theres a possibility that it couldn't be safe....

I personally believe that a pregnant woman can do whatever she feels up to. If she wants to skydive or rockclimb, go for it! If she wants to run a 5k or keep working out 6 days a week, go for it! In all reality getting in the vehicle and driving to our prenatal ob appts is more dangerous than the situations I listed. We are all grown adults and know how to listen to our bodies.

Whats your opinion?

muensters_ma

Asked by muensters_ma at 2:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I personally didn't do anything what i was pregnant because it took us almost a year to conceive and I was paranoid. Now we are trying again and I am working and everything else. I just really hope it doesnt take another year because my son will be FOUR before we have another one lol.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Though I wouldn't skydive or rock climb while pregnant, I did pretty much the same thing during my pregnancy that I did before and after pregnancy. Exercise is essential during pregnancy because it helps keep you healthy and boosts your stamina for labor. I wouldn't advise a spin class while pregnant, but cardio and light muscle toning exercises are great.
    Shortfuse007

Answer by Shortfuse007 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I completely agree with you.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well, sky diving isn't a good idea, but exercise and running a five k are fine.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Of course you know my position on this ;) HELL NO! LOL

I do get some interesting looks from older men at the gym though and I know they disapprove, but I've also had a few tell me that they think it's awesome that I'm still lifting :)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my son I wasn't allowed to do anything. =/ Total bed rest (until they learned that it wasn't working Im not the kind of person to sit in bed all day. then I was allowed 15 minutes of up time, but for very 15 i was up, I had to lay down for an hour. ) But we're trying for another, so if it happens, IM hoping I can do whatever. Although I wouldn't want to do anything to put my child in harms way.. && theres no way Id be skydiving. (Im afraid of heights.)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 2:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I didn't do much while pregnant due to extreme hyperemesis. I tried t get out when I could, for even my OB said that could only help.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'm not lifting light either... well light for me, but still much heavier than most women... I'm still incline benching sets between 75 and 95lbs at 29 weeks :)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• People aren't intuitive and everything you need to know about pregnancy can be intuited. There are things pregnant women should do and they don't do them because they don't educate themselves. There are things pregnant women do that would be better for their infants or themselves if they didn't do. Few women go to childbirth classes. If they go to childbirth classes it may be late in pregnancy, too late for important things they should have known early in pregnancy or even before they got pregnant. If they read books the books may not have accurate info or the important info.

It's irresponsible to say pregnant women can do whatever they want.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with you...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010