i have been journaling things, can this be used in court for child custody

i have a journal and i write down things
when he swears at kids, when he has left three yr old outside alone, when i took her for weekend, came home with her in same clothes, hair never combed and no eye drops given for two days

can this personal journal of mine be used in court? should i be doing anything else to make it more legal-like be sure to date it or i do not know

it is his word against me, but he is not being a responsible adult , can i use this to help show tht he is not fit father for alone visitations
(i am not perfect-but i comb hair, bathe her, change her clothes, do not swear at and never leave her outside unattended, and make sure she has her meds!)

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• You can, my DH did. Make sure you date everything. His attorney used it in the brief; it showed a pattern of behavior. The judge didn't read the journal, but the summarization was used in the custody battle.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Your lawyer might like to see it, to see if it's possible to provoke him into behaving badly in front of the judge. Temper tantrums in court are always frowned upon and make real differences in deadlocked disputes.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Cont doing what your doing and make sure the date is on it. Maybe if you have a camara that it will show the date on it you can take photos. Even the smallest thing will matter. Your doing the right thing momma and make sure you have the dates right and even add the time in it. Any proff you have bring it to court with you. Everything you bring the judge will look at. This is your child and you want nothing but the best for her.
    You are a good momma as long as you do the best you can and know how you doing a great job. Everytime i see you on here you always asking and trying to figure out what your doing is the right thing and it is. Your a strong women you have my respect in parenting in my book! You go momma :~)
    Everthing will workout for this court hearing just go in there with your head held high and remember you are looking out for the best interest of your DD. If you ever want to chat one on one PM me anytime.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it could be. If you hire a lawyer be sure to bring it up.

Dating things could help a lot.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• thanks
    i will try to watch how i say things
    i have been the only parent who is involved with any of her therapies (autism)
    and he has two other kids - not mine- when asked this summer what grade they will be in, he got both wrong, i knew and i am just the step mom, so he is not very into his kids and what is going on in their lives, he is into his motorcycle and his porn watching
    he swore at his 10 yr old daughter (not mine) "shut the F up" because she asked a question to him while he was playing a game on video, and when walking to frig to get hmself a beer, this 10 yr old was in his way he said " get out of the damn way"
    this stuff is in there, maybe i just will help me KNOW i need to get my child out, maybe it will not help at all in court and shoved her

if i can get him to see that he will be more free to ride his bike, and have more time to wtch his porn, maybe he will give up any fight to have her half time?
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Possibly if it is a personal journal. Not changing a child's clothes, combing hair, or giving a bath for 2 days wouldn't be reasons for not getting visitation. Many parents do these things and it's not going to hurt a child. Kids only need baths twice a week. The vast majority of parents swear at their kids and hit them. If you make a big deal out of things that are standard parenting in the US it could hurt you. Most people aren't responsible adults and it doesn't sound like there are reasons for supervised visitation. You say you aren't perfect (I suggest you never say that agian). It sounds like an excuse for bad behavior. Other things to avoid saying that people that work with parents are trained to look for are - I do my best & my kids are my life. 

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010