i am a single struggling mom !

i a m 29 , living with my mother who is disabled, i am desperately looking for work and have been in the childcare feild for over 10 years now , unfortunately they get too old to have a babysitter! i love kids , and this has always been my profession , and i am good at it , does anyone have any suggestions of where i can find a job , any job , i have been out of work for 3 months now ,i have exhausted all my savings, and do not want to go go on welfare, or food stams, or anything like that , does anyone have any suggestions, or know of anyone hiring around my area which is carmel , ny .Thanks for your help

itsmyparty79

Asked by itsmyparty79 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Money & Work

• Could you set up a daycare in your mothers home? You seem qualified & you could always set up the place for child safety. There are always moms looking for a good place to leave their child & most of the places that have a good recommendation are usually full or too expensive. You could advertise by newspaper, Craigslist or even post your own at local libraries,preschools,etc . Also if you have been out of work for awhile you could see if there are any other skills that required & go from there. Good luck on whatever you choose to do. I hope the best!

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 4:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I was going to say contact your local dept of social services and see what it takes to become a licensed in your home daycare provider... It's ussually not much effort and the state pays for all of it. The only issue would be your mother allowing this to happen in her home. Other than that hit up Craigslist. There's ussually quite a few ads looking for sitters and you can put an ad of your own up asking for work.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The H&R Block tax course is coming up. My step mom makes $100,000.00 a year doing taxes. She started small, started her own business while doing daycare in her home. Now she does taxes, has several payroll clients, works 4 half days a week except tax season of course when she's right out straight and we don't see her for 4 months. But the rest of the year she only works 4 hours a day monday - thrusday. And she hasn't had a daycare in over 20 years.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• :)
    How about getting your favorite church to help start a daycare in your area and you could be the administrator of the best place to take care of children! If they have a gym that is even better! Elementary schools are now offering after school daycare......contact the principal or the school board.......I have heard the YMCA sometimes contracts for this venture, at the school and or at the YMCA.........maybe they need your great ideas ! I wish you all the luck that I can muster in my prayers for you.
    Smiles! :)
    laurasmiles

Answer by laurasmiles at 11:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• All of these are great suggestions..you may even look at places like the boys and girls or community centers that need help looking after the kids. Also, don't rule out getting help from the state (food stamps, etc). I know it is a hastle but you have to make sure you and your family is ok. If you are out of work, foodstamps can be helpful because you don't have to worry about coming out of your pocket for food. With the economy today, alot of people are looking for work and there is alot of competition. If you can save money by getting assistance (until you find a job) that is what I would do.
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 12:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2008