For those of you wTho don't judge other moms...Are these women BAD MOHERS??

EXAMPLE A: This morning while I was getting my son ready for school I heard a little boy screaming. There is a woman with her two children walking them to the bus stop. Her son who is no older than 7 is screaming at the top of his lungs and crying obviously in pain. She is dragging him to the bus stop and hitting him while she pulls him and he's yelling for her to stop. Is this lady a bad mother?

EXAMPLE B: I walk to get my son from school everyday. There is a mom with two daughters. One is no older than a month or two and the other is 9-12 months. She has one single seat stroller which has the new born in it, UNDER the stroller in the basket (where you put a diaper bag) she has the older baby who is whining and squished. She stops when she gets to the school takes the older baby out for a minute (there are about 4 other moms and bus drivers watching) then puts her back in.

itsme0221

Asked by itsme0221 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• You normally can't judge whether someone is a bad parent by one action. It would have to be on a pattern of actions. (I'm not including those who physically abuse their children or other traumatic circumstances.) We all have bad days and we all have times where we do something we normally would not do with our kids. I don't make swift judgement calls on anyone like that.
    Anonymous

• Example A I don' agree with. I spank my child once in a while but I don't continuosly smack him. It would only make the situation worse. Just because he's little doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings. Example B is jsut F'd up. That is so unsafe and uncomfortable. i don't know how far she walks but i'd be carrying the baby with the older one in stroller. Or she should by a baby sling to make it easier. But those are just my opinons.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Well I don`t know about being a bad mother, but they sure could use some counselling on how to deal with situations like that.
    Anonymous

• This is what I think: When you see a mom fustrated or having a bad moment, if you can stop and offer assistance. I do this in stores sometimes, just make sure its welcomed, I think you can usually tell.
    Example I was checking out when there was a lady trying to get her son that was throwing a HUGE fit outside. She had an infant in a carrier in her arms so could not cary him out. I offered to carry the carseat so she could remove the child throwing the fit. She was obviously overwhelmed and was thankful for the help.
    As for the child under the stroller my 3yr loves to do that he thinks its fun and he know to keep his hands away from the wheels. I dont like it and sometimes worry what people will think but he likes it so why not.
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 3:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• OP--- These technically aren't isolated incidents because Woman A is constantly seen slapping and screaming at her sons either on the way to or from the bus stop...Woman B brings her children to the school like this everyday...would you feel comfortable if your children when left in the care of a babysitter or family member was being treated like the children in either situation???
    itsme0221

Answer by itsme0221 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No, I would not be comfortable with that situation.
    Anonymous

• Example A: you see this everyday? Say something to the mother and if you think there's more to it than call CPS..
    Example B: I do not agree w that at all but how do you know that the mom can't afford a double stroller?? they're almost 200 bucks and i wouldn't have got mine if my family didn't buy it for me.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• also to add on to Ex B: doesn't she know what a baby carrier is?? especially if its a newborn. the new born should be on the chest and 1 yr old needs to be in the stroller
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Just the other day I was pulling my son to the car. He would not leave daycare, he's 4 1/2 and I had the baby (10 m) in my arms. Not sure how it looked to other moms (some were probably saying - been there!!). Of course my son told me I was hurting his arm, he wanted to get away from me and continue playing.
    We don't know what her morning was like, BUT I don't agree with the hitting.

Infant toooo young to be in a stroller, should be in infant carrier. I think you'd be surprised at how many moms don't know and some just don't care, they are going to do it their way - no matter what.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• example B is pretty messed up
    Anonymous