Crying for no reason...

My dd is 4 months old, and the last week or so, has been having crying fits for no apparent reason. She'll have been fed, changed, dressed according to temperature, and have had a nap, so I can't imagine she's tired. She'll go on and on, for almost an hour. I've tried everything: rocking, nursing, walking, white noise, checked her temperature, mylicon drops, even teething tablets because I thought it was possible that teething may be the culprit. I don't think it's her tummy because she is well burped, and has plenty of dirty diapers. Any ideas, or suggestions? She's normally a very happy baby, and this behavior is unusual for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• always check her fingers and toes for any hair that can get wrapped around them.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 3:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Wow, I JUST typed out a long answer for you, just to click the "answer question" button to find that it had been deleted. So, PLEASE don't waste my time this time around, I will answer but it takes time sometimes.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• She could be getting sick, it could be a growth spurt, she could simply be bored..
    Don't worry about it unless she seems to be in pain- and even then, rule out the usual suspects such as teething before you run to the doctor. A doctor will either tell you what I'm telling you - that it is normal.. Or they will run a bunch of tests.. (And personally, i wouldn't run to the doctor unless I was sure my kid needed a bunch of tests to pinpoint something far greater than I can solve on my own)
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I am not going to type the whole freaking thing over again, because honestly I am a little irritated with you at the moment.

The jist of what I was going to say is that it can be multiple things, and just because you can't see it does not mean that she is crying for no reason.

Something my daughters doctor suggested when she started acting how you have described was that her jaw may be expanding, preparing itself to accommodate the teeth that will be coming in.

Something else to consider is growing pains. Or constipation. Or any number of things that you can not visibly see.

I don't like giving my daughter medicine, but I do if I have to, and if I were you I would try giving her a dose of Tylenol and see if that helps her at all.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree - sick, growth spurt, bored, teething, over simulated, who knows what... it's normal, frustrating, but normal.

Just try everything you can think of, check everything you can think of, and when all else fails, just accept that as far as you can tell she is fine and just needs to cry. If you have to, put her in her crib and go sit outside so you get a break from the constant crying. You aren't leaving her - your body floods your system with adrenaline when she crys and you are giving your body a break from the chemical bath.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I would try tylenol. My daughter is also a very content baby, and she only acted like this when she had an ear infection. Not all babies tug at ears, they dont show any other signs either. I would take her to ped if it continues. Good luck.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 4:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• try gripe water from walgreens
    lnmauldin7

Answer by lnmauldin7 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• try the DR!! why give meds just to see if they are gonna help?? Go to the dr and tell them what is going one... Babies don't just cry for fun!!
    Anonymous

• My daughter used to do that to she didn't show any signs of anything being wrong just cried. Come to find out she had an ear infection so you might want to get it checked out just in case.
    Amanda_87

Answer by Amanda_87 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• If your nursing you might try cutting out dairy products. That often upsets baby's bellies.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2008