Introducing Whole milk...

when it is time to introduce whole milk should it be done gradually, like mixing half whole milk to half formula? Or just start it straight out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it a little at a time mixed with formula. I started with 2oz milk/6 oz formula for a week, then 4oz each for a week, then 6oz milk/2oz formula for a week.

I did it that way so that they'd get used to the taste.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I just started my 1 yr. old. He's not picky and will try any food or drink so I started out just switching him right on over. He likes it just fine.

I decided though to at least give him some formula mixed with the milk at bedtime. Right before switching to milk I started using the transition formula for older babies. (most brands make it). It's got so much good stuff in it that milk doesn't have and I still want to make sure he's getting the vitamins and nutrients he needs. So at bedtime I give him a 1/2 and 1/2 bottle of that just to pump up his vitamins a bit.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i think it depends on the baby. mine is not to whole milk yet, but i'll probably switch her straight over because i switched her straight from breast milk to formula and she was perfectly fine with that.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 3:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• This is Great. I was going to ask almost the same question. I am about to make the switch myself..
    I was thinking about doing the transition gradually....because I know I can have a sensitive tummy to lactose, and DS still gets gas that bothers him sometimes.
    I like your idea flutterfae.
    I'm going to try that :)
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 4:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My doc said to go straight. My dd didn't have any stomach problems or allergies. Doesn't hurt to try straight milk then backing off if there's a reaction.
    Anonymous

• Most doctors say to wait until the child is at least 1 year old. Most do mix it with formula or breastmilk at first. I know I started with 1oz of milk and 5oz of formula or breastmilk and slowly upped the amount of milk and down the amount of formula/breastmilk. However, I also had my son switched over to milk by the time he was 8 months old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2008