How did YOU potty train?

I have a 3 1/2 year old little girl who shows absolutely NO interest whatsover in going on the "big girl potty".....HELP! How did you train and/or what would you suggest?

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 2:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• at 2 i put ds on every now and then to get him used to going, at 2 1/2 i put my foot down and stayed home for a whole week, kept him in underwear only, bought a timer and set it for every hour, every half hour he didn't go, every time it went off it was "potty time" and made a big deal about it, some times he was excited, sometimes he fought me lol, but i still made him go. The Resolve was glued to my hand and my best friend that week, yet he was in underwear in 4 days. he wasn't 'trained' yet, as i had to watch the time and make sure he went every so often, as the days went by the time went a bit longer and longer...it wasn't until he was 3, when he started actually telling me when he had to go, and yes we still had a few accidents, those were mainly the times i was way too busy and lost track of time...i should have set a timer on my phone or something. dd is now 2 and i'm doing the same thing, she's on the potty now & then
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I went thru 2 potty inserts and 4 potty chairs until I found one that she would sit on. At first it was just another peice of furniture in the front room. She would sit on it and watch tv. Then she started wanting to pee in it. I ditched the diapers that day and got some pullups for night time. I covered all the furniture with waterproof pads and invested in Shamwow. Then it was only undies during the day. After 3 days, I took her out of the house shopping (lined the carseat with waterproof pads and packed extra clothes). We went 45 minutes away shopping and she made it all the way. We found every bathroom in town that day. (and she remembers where they all are too!) The next weekend we went 2 hours away, and again she made it.
    After 2 months of being dry at night, I ditched the pull ups.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• when my dd turned 2 i started using pull ups and taking her to the potty every hour when she'd use the potty i'd put a sticker on a home made calendar i made, if she got a sticker every day, then at the end of the week i'd take her to dollar tree for a prize...she was 100 % potty trained in 2 months day and night trained GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• sorry, ran out of room. it is VERY frustrating, to say the least. at first he would sit there forever, we'd sing songs, read books, play games like "I spy", ect, and he wouldn't go. then 2 minutes after he's off, he'd go in his underwear. talk about frustraing. i wanted to smack him upside the head! (yes, i refrained lol) but he eventually got it. finally. i just can't believe i'm going to go through it all again in a couple of months with dd. apparently girls are easier, we shall see though lol. she's a stubborn head...just like her daddy. good luck!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• oh yeah, i bought a potty, but we never used it. we used it as a stool lol. it was the 3 n 1 potty, so it's meant as a stool, a portable potty, and you can take it out to put it on the big potty. i ended up just training him on the big potty, so when we're out i didn't have to worry about carrying one around with me. the first week we went out, i put him in underwear but i had a pull up over his underwear, just in case. after about 4 days of doing errands, he had only had a couple of accidents and finally got the hang of it, we had on just underwear. i still have the little potty, i started dd on it, but then was like "what am i thinking??" lol so i now have her on the big potty every now and then.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Let him run around diaperless, and he pees on the potty when he has to go... we're in the process now.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I waited until they had a dry diaper first thing in the morning and had her start telling me when she had to pee. After a few weeks of that, I showed her the potty and that was it, we never needed a diaper again.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I put a candy dish in the bathroom and let them have a piece everytime they went in the potty. With my 2nd I had 2 different ones because he didn't want to poop in the potty so I put mini candy bars in a dish and gave him one if he pooped. A friend of mine had the lady at the store tell her daughter she was to big to wear diapers/pull ups and that worked for them. Good Luck!!!
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I took a really GROSS suggestion from a friend. I sat her down to watch Finding Nemo. When they got to the part about "all drains leading to the ocean"....I emphasized the fact that the potty goes to the ocean too...and if she wanted to use the potty, she'd be helping to "feed the fishies"...I know, it's totally AWFUL, but.....it worked =) She HAS to "feed the fishies" several times a day and only uses night-time "pullups" now :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We started by attempting to put our son on the potty once a day (same time every day, after dinner before his bath). If he balked, we gave up and tried the next night. After a while he'd sit willingly and usually pee. We then moved to training. The first couple of days he went naked (made it easier to get him on the potty). We put him on every 45 minutes. If he peed, great. If not, we waited 10 minutes and tried again. We kept trying even 10 minutes until he either peed or had an accident. We then reset the clock (use a timer to keep track). After 2 days he had the basic idea and we added underwear. We stayed home for a few days to do this but used pullups if we had to go out. As he got better, we increased the time between attempts. We used various rewards as well (M&Ms, cars for pooping). Our son was just past 3 before we really started.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010