Ok. My in laws are sports fans. They wantt o take my daughter to every basketball and football and soccer game under the sun. This is causing my daughter to identify with those sports and not with the quiet art person I am. I feel irritated by this. Am I totally yhe bad guy here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no but you should involve her in your quiet art and then let her choose what she wants to be a part of.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i don't see why she can't have both things in her life...let her decide when she's older if she wants to be an athelete or an artist ...
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What's the matter with your inlaws sharing a part of themselves with their granddaughter? You should also share a part of you with your daughter. You never know, your daughter might be the one that loves the sports without your inlaws influence.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Give your kid some credit. If she's enjoying herself, she can enjoy sports and arts. If she has no interest in sports, she'll stop wanting to go, and if she just isn't into arts, there is nothing you can do about it apart from make it clear that she's making you feel bad and that makes her unacceptable the way she is.

It is not a popularity contest. It's your job to love who she is, not be Right in your life by having all the people agree with you.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Let your daughter be who she wants to be, not what you want her to be. If she loves sports, let her. If she loves art, let her. If she loves math, let her. If she loves music, let her. When she's not with the in-laws, try to expose her to things you are interested in as well, but in the long run, let her do what she wants to do and just accept it and support her. Being a kid is hard enough, trying to figure out who you are, don't try to pin her to some label now.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 2:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Let her choose what she wants to do.. You cannot force her into being interested in things. If she likes the sports, there isn't any reason to pull her out of that, but you can show her art things too.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What if your DD is not like you & actually realy likes the sports stuff? Will you deny her true identity because it's not like yours? If my parents were around to take my DD to all the sports games, i would be totally psyched! Don't feel irritated over it. You're so lucky she has grandparents that want to spend time with her. Just make sure that when she is with you, she gets that quiet art time. Let her chose what makes her happy though.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Kind of. Be happy they take such an interest in her. You can show her what you like also.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• She's an individual, not a carbon copy of you. I know how saddening it is when a child does not share in the same interests as a parent, but they are entitled to their individuality.

All you can do is expose her to the things you enjoy, and see where she lands in a few years. Personally, I'm the quiet artsy type- I never enjoyed large sporting events, but my daughter does.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's good for her to experience a balance so that she can decide what she likes. If she enjoys going to the sports games, encourage her to do it. And continue to encourage her to go places with you to build her love of art also.
    crazycappuccino

Answer by crazycappuccino at 2:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010