Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone made Halloween punch with dry ice in it before and, is that safe for the kids to be drinking?

I would like to try and make a punch with some kind of smoke coming out of it but, it would have to be safe for all the little kids to drink because this will be for a halloween birthday party.

Answer Question
 
4m2953

Asked by 4m2953 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Food & Drink

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Yes dry ice is safe to have in your drink. I work in a lab and when we get some in (Some of the reagents we use are shipped in on dry ice) we use it in our sodas and whatnot, and play with it.

    Don't hold it in your hand for too long, it will cause frostbite.

    Don't let any of the children actually have a piece of it, it is not ice that you want them eating due to the extreme cold.

    Dry Ice is simply regular ice that has been frozen to extreme temperatures.
    CarolynBarnett

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • Dry ice is NOT the same thing as regular ice. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide, NOT H2O, which is why it melts into a gas instead of a liquid. WIth a temperature of -109*f, I wouldn't put it directly in any punch being served to adults, much less children, just on the off chance a broken off piece could be ingested. Instead, use the double bowl trick. Get 2 bowls, one larger than the other. Put the dry ice in the larger bowl, and set the smaller bowl inside the larger. Fill the smaller bowl with the punch or whatever you like. Keep a tea kettle with simmering water on the stove, and when you're ready for the fog to flow, just pour a little of the hot water into the dry ice.
    Don't hold it in your bare hand AT ALL. Touching it directly can cause severe damage to your skin.
    jespeach

    Answer by jespeach at 4:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • CarolynBarnett: I don't know if what you're getting are ice packs or what, but dry ice is not anything like regular ice. Regular ice does not get colder than 32*f without a chemical or saline so it couldn't possibly be "regular ice frozen to extreme temperatures". You can freeze regular ice in liquid nitrogen until it is as cold as dry ice, but that wouldn't be dry ice, it would melt to a liquid and it wouldn't have the fog effect that dry ice does. Dry ice melts into a gas, thus the fog, because it is frozen carbon dioxide, not H20.
    jespeach

    Answer by jespeach at 4:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • Why not get two bowls... put your dry ice in the bottom (larger) bowl and your punch in the inner (smaller) bowl... This way they smoke would rise up around the punch bowl and still look good without any risk. Just in case.

    Although to be honest they put carbondioxide in soda and it won't hust you why would this?
    SabrinaMBowen

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • jespeach is right...dry ice can be very dangerous. Also do not allow small children to crawl in the smoke or lay down in the smoke, they could suffocate. The chances of that are very small, but I wouldn't chance it at all...small quantities for the outside of the punch bowl like jespeach is talking about would create a great effect for you party, just don't let the kids play with it
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • i have done it before, it is fine!
    godsgirl746

    Answer by godsgirl746 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • It's fine. Dry Ice is just frozen CO2 - you know... the stuff you breathe out all day long. Don't let anyone touch it and yes, it's a good idea that no one nap in the smoke but it's fine.
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • i went to ask.com and every link said it was fine to put in punch. go check it out
    81107zabkiewicz

    Answer by 81107zabkiewicz at 12:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

  • 81107: It isn't so much a matter of it being in the punch as it breaking apart and a child who doesn't know better accidentally swallowing it, which could involve a trip to the ER. Better not to risk it when children are involved.
    jespeach

    Answer by jespeach at 2:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN