best things to do for a cold...

I woke up today with a bad cold.. ( yesterday I didnt feel the greatest, but today is alot worse) .. I stay home with my 2 little kids and my son already has the runny nose, but other than that they seem to be ok...

I cannot go to the DR because our new insurance doesnt kick in for a month ( which i know usually with a cold you dont need to go to the DR) but is there a certain medicine I should try and take or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Health

• Air born! I get the orange flavor and mix it in orange juice, or apple juice. It tastes so much better, and it works so well!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• hot steam showers, and drink tea with lemon, take vitamin C pills. rest when u can and drink lots of water! hope u feel better!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No.

Rest, fluids and a lot of healthy food will help more than any of the over-the-counter garbage that has never been proven to be effective, only 'safe'... making it modern day snake oil more than a cure, or even a way to mask the symptoms of a cold.

I have found that when I increase the amount of salt I eat (I like to do it with salt & vinegar chips, because that way at least it tastes good!) and drink a ridiculous amount of water (like 2 quarts over a couple of hours), the symptoms really go away. Salt is used in gargles because it breaks open the germ's cell walls, demolishing them.

Also, some preliminary research suggests that a zinc deficiency makes people more prone to colds, and so zinc lozenges can shorten a cold's duration --when it was a zinc deficiency that made them susceptible... they're under $5, so worth a try. Don't give them to your kids. Zinc is abundant in most nuts (not peanuts, they're legumes).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with LIndaClement. Increase your fluid intake, rest more( I know it's hard with little ones at home) and increase your vitamin C. Besides oranges, parsely, red bell peppers, kiwi, broccoli and strawberries are good sources. Also Echinacea tea is supposed to help you get over the cold faster. It tastes pretty strong so add some honey to help the flavor. Plus if your experiencing a sore throat tea with lemon and honey will help. Feel better
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 4:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010