Is it necessary to be in love to get married?

More than 50% of marriages end in divorce however arranged marriages divorce rates are very low... Is it really necessary to be in love..

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 2:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it is.. I see no other reason to get married other than that.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Of those arranged marriages, how many of those couples are truly happy? Many people are getting married for the wrong reasons, that is why the divorce rate is so high. You have to love someone and trust someone before you get married. If you don't then marriage is not the next step for that relationship.
    Shortfuse007

Answer by Shortfuse007 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes it is. I thought that was the reason why you get married because you love the other person and that is whom you want to share your life with.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 2:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Most countries that have arranged marriages don't agree with divorce and that accounts for the lower divorce rates. I personally think you should be in love.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If your not in love..dont get married.. I dont understand why anyone would just want to be married?!? It takes alot to make a relationship work..its not easy
    So yes i think you need to be "in love" to get married
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would say yes. I have a few Indian friends who had arranged marriages. They met & knew their spouse before the wedding & were able to decide if they wanted to marry them or not. It wasn't like they never even saw the guy before marriage. Anyhow, it's such a part of their culture & it's very RARE & looked down upon in Indian culture to get a divorce. So, most couples do anything they can to LEARN how to love each other & keep the relationship happy. It's what they grew up with though, they are used to everyone having an arranged marriage. That would not work here in the US. We are not accustomed to that type relationship where we have to teach ourselves to love the other person. It works both ways. But, it is more likely in India that couples stay together, even when unhappy, than it is here in the US. If you divorce in India, EVERYBODY in the neighborhood will be talking shit about you...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• In my mind: Arranged marriages are equivalent to slavery. The girl is sold to her partner in a business deal - therefore, she would also be raised to be submissive and wouldn't know HOW to have the backbone to be disobedient and ask for a divorce.

A marriage out of love is of freedom of choice and each individual has the choice to stay in that relationship or not.

This is why the rates are so different between arranged marriage divorce rates and free choice divorce rates.

In my heart - love is always the best answer.

LOOneyPLR

Answer by LOOneyPLR at 3:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it's a good idea for you to be in-love with the person you are gonna marry.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think you should be in extreme like.

Answer by louise2 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• yes I feel you should be in love and it isn't always the love part that causes divorce. Some people can still love each but cannot be married. So I do not think its the falling out of love that causes divorce, i.e. stupid actions by one person or both.
    SusanL99

Answer by SusanL99 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010