Do you have a BIG kid? What have you done to help your kids lose weight? How much should they weigh anyway?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 2:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• You can find BMI calculators online and you can find out if your child is overweight or obese. You will be able to find your child's ideal weight range. Go to google to find the BMI calculators and charts.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• That is a loaded question. Our ped says that it isn't about the weight as much as it is about height to weight ratio - you need the doc to answer that question. As far as losing weight - only have available what is healthy to eat around your house. Make it convenient to eat veggies and fruits by having them ready and close by when your child is hungry. Also, activity is so important. Find a sport/sports that your child likes and can participate in. We have many locally that do not cost much at all - recreational soccer, hockey, etc. If your child doesn't like those types of activities perhaps you could try rollerskating, bike riding, walks in your local parks, karate etc.There are so many options. Is your child a video game person or tv fan. I do not allow tv on school nights - at all. Between homework and some outside fun there is no time for it. They have never really watched it so they don't even notice. Good luck:0)
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 3:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Good god, I hate it when people say "Big"! It is called over weight, obese, FAT... It's a disease. You cure it with exercise, healthful food, and plenty of support.

Why has it become so socially acceptable for people NOT to tell the truth- Are we that PC now? OMG
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My 2 nephews are overweight,and my niece is getting there quickly. The 3 yr old weighs 68 lbs,the 6 yr old weighs 60,and the 8 yr old is 80!
    My inlaws think its either cute or they figure somehow magically the weight will disappear. The kids eat CRAP practically 24/7.
    Worry more about the BMI. If your kid is tall then the weight isn't as much an issue. Kids should be in the 15% fat ratio area,give or take.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I say dont worry about what any chart really says.. by looking at a person you can tell if they need to lose some lbs or not..
    An overweight child IMO should not be put on a diet.. But a parent should help their child to become more HEALTHY.. and the weight loss will become a result to that...
    Eating healthy, staying active is best... Less time on the video games, computers, txting on cell phone.. more time outside playing basketball, riding bikes, walking on trails..
    Parents control what food is in the house & what is on the table! So start with those things..

Ive dieted my whole life (since elementry) on my own. Its never been good. My parents bought junk for the house. and fixed OK meals. My mom wont even admit ive always battled my weight!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My 12 year old is 5 feet tall and weighs 98 pounds. He's big, but he's really tall and more solid than chubby. The way he's complaining about his neck, shoulders and hips hurting lately, I expect him to shoot up another inch or two fairly soon.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010