Mom gets 10 years because boyfriend impregnated her 9 yr old daughter??

A 9 yr old girl gets pregnant by her 27 year old mother's 38 year old boyfriend. This happens in August or September 07...she gives birth in April. The mother gets 10 years for FAILURE TO PROVIDE PRENATAL CARE TO HER DAUGHTER? The mother is also eligible for parole after serving 1 year??...How do you feel about this???

*The rapist/boyfriend faces life in prison*

itsme0221

Asked by itsme0221 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• yes, I think it was neglect to not take her daughter to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Mishelly
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• If the mom new that the boyfriend was the father isnt that a whole lot worse then not providing pre natal care. Sounds to me that it might be the reason for not providing pre natal care if she felt guilty. To many women out there put boyfriends/husbands before their kids and that really really P@#$ me off.
    Anonymous

• I think the mother may have gotten off too easy! Why didn't she take her daughter to the doctor? Was she aware of what was going on with the boyfriend? There's still a lot to this story that could affect my opinion.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think that the whole situation is disgusting, and they should have gotten that child an abortion. I am against abortion, but damnit if my 9 year old was pregnant I would be dragging her to the clinic. A 9 year old has no business giving birth.

Regardless, the mother let her stay pregnant for only God knows what reason, and failed to provide prenatal care. Yes, she was wrong. A 9 year old does not know how to take care of herself, and I would consider it the mother's responsibility to provide her daughter with prenatal care, just as I would expect her to take her to the doctor if she was sick.

Does she deserve 10 years for it? I don't think so. I think that being eligible for parole after a year served is pretty fair, but I do think it was a bit extreme to charge her with a crime punishable by going to prison.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• who is no longer posted here, so I will say it. I think she should have gotten more granted her daughter getting raped was not her fault but not getting her the prenatal care that she needed is
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• well, if i was the mother i wouldn't be in prison for that.. i'd be in prison for man slaughter.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think she should have gotten more, just because it seems she turned a blind eye to the abuse. Your 9 y/o is pregnant, how can you NOT go to the police!? If I remember the story correctly, the originally wanted to charge her for letting him stay in the house even after the girl was pregnant, which means she knew but was denying her daughter was being abused by SOMEONE at least. One of my own daughters is 9 going on 10...I'd be in jail for murder if she were about to give birth! What's even more sad is, this girl's baby was taken away because it's mother is too young to care for it (she still sees the baby, I think, in a visitation), and will grow up knowing it's parentage, knowing it was the product of abuse. The poor girl isn't even mature enough to make an informed decision about adoption.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• She doesn't deserve to have a daughter. End of story.
    Anonymous

• a 9 year old CONCEIVED a child and they let her deliver it??? Who's taking care of it. Thats a whole different story than a 16 year old gettin pregnant. They dont NEEd a child but they CAN take care of one
    lnmauldin7

Answer by lnmauldin7 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008