Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

What is an IEP?

I keep seeing parents post things about them for their school age children.

Is it just for disabled children?

How do you go about getting one if you need one?

My oldest starts kindergaten next year (haven't heard of anything like this in Pre-K thus far) but my youngest daughter has hearing problems and potentially ADHD pretty bad (undiagnosed thus far). I may need one in the future so I need to know.



Asked by Memigen at 2:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in

Level 27 (30,799 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • I was also going to add that even though she is not ready for traditional school....most states offer county pre kindergarten programs for students with IEP's....they are FREE!!! And have qualified speical education teachers :)

    All she has to do is qualify through testing. It can help her to prepare for school and make her transition easier and better for you and her.

    And also, as she enters K...she will already have an IEP set up so she will begin school with one in place...not half way through...

    Check it to your pediatrician...they can tell you about your early intervention in your area.

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • Individualized Education Plan

    Its for any student who qualifies through testing. Sounds like your dd would. My dd has one for mild aspergers. We attend meetings with her teachers to discuss the best ways to help her get a great education. And allows our kids to receive all types of assistance whatever level is needed. Some kids need an individual aide to help them, some just need special allowances...all types of stuff.

    Talk to the school counselor they can direct you on how to get her tested for services :)

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • Individual Education Plan. You call the school, probably Student Services, and request your child be tested. My son has ADD, he's in 9th and has always had an IEP. My daughter in 10th only had one for Speech services until about 5th grade. And you'll have to keep pushing and advocating and fighting for your child once you get an IEP because a lot of schools don't seem to want to follow through.

    Answer by ceallaigh at 3:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • It is an individualized Education Plan and is usually for children with disablities, delays or other issues. Usually they are developed because a child has been referred due to parental or teacher concerns or they did not pass a assessment or scored a little low. They are also for children with issues that may need thier educational enviornment altered.Such as hearing or vision issues where the teacher might need to wear a mike or sit the child closer to them during group time.

    Answer by maggiebella25 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • individualized education plan. You need a referral from the special education dept. or doctor to have your child analyzed for problems related to learning.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • Individualized Education Plan.

    Which I happen to personally believe would be best for all children. Since there is not one child who fits the pace, order and content of the curriculum, it doesn't make sense to make allowances and a personalized plan for one class of children and not the rest.

    As far as I can tell, you get one by being a non-stop advocate for your child...and it takes about 3 years unless the handicap is pronounced and the school is recruiting those children for funding increases.

    Answer by LindaClement at 3:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD and she was in special classes and had an IEP it is set up in the school and it allows for extra time for assignments, etc. Talk to your child's school counselor.

    Answer by SusanL99 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • Cealilaigh is right....b/c a child has an IEP it REQUIRES the school to give them everything they need to succeed...and this can of course cost the school MONEY!!!! So they really try to push parents around. Its best to get educated on your rights and your DD's rights so you can be her voice and advocate :)

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • Individualized Education Program

    My Dd has speech delay and has this. We meet with her teacher to set up goals and what programs and assistance she needs.

    Answer by Raeann11 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • It is an individualized education plan. It does sound like your daughter might need one. Because of her hearing problems, she may need a speech therapist. In our state (NM), ADHD can be considered "Other Health Impared" and be a reason for an IEP. You would need a diagnosis and also ask the school for testing. NM also has IEP's for advanced or "gifted" students. You can message me if you would like more information.

    Answer by Intrique at 3:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010