in addition to the "second worst newborn death rate in modern world!" question

So far I have seen a lot of women who think a better support system and more education is needed in order to improve the lives of new babies and moms in the U.S.

Please read the entire question before you make a decision. I know it sounds crazy. I have actually done a lot of research on mandatory parenting classes. How do you feel about first time parents having to take a class during their pregnancy. These classes would cover basic things like nutrition, sleep, discipline, child development stages, and other basic parenting topics. They would not be a place for ideologies or beliefs.

These classes could take the form of a home visitation program where volunteers take a few families. Visiting them once a month and offering support and information. Home visitation programs have been proven to improve the life of the entire family.

Long question. What do you think?

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know this will evoke some strong opinions and feelings. Please give only those. No disrespectful bashing or name calling. We are only parents trying to do our best and every opinion will be appreciated.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• where I used to live actually had a program already set up like that.

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dma/babylove.html

it was a great program.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Who would pay for these classes or visits? I'm a nursing student and this is something that we have discussed. I think it would be beneficial for most. Making it mandatory for ALL I don't agree with. I don't know how to separate who needs classes and who wouldn't. Tough question and even an tougher solution on how it would all work for the best.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I currently volunteer in a home visitation program with United Way called Welcome Baby. There are two parts. The United Way part and the state provides support as well. The state sponsored Welcome Baby is for those parents who have court orders against them.

I guess the funding could come from state government. Before you get too worried consider all the funding put into Family Services and foster programs. If we could be proactive and avoid problems through this parenting classes, would you be for it.

Southerncharmes - I agree it is very complicated topic. Good luck on your degree.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Oh one more thing. The state sponsored classes use certified nurses while the United Way part use volunteers with experience (i.e. childcare, mothers).
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• in NC, you accept the offer of the program.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I would welcome it! they're not trying to say we're bad parents! they're just trying to help us! especially for first timers, i had a nurse some see me one time after my daughter was born..i wished she'd come more. first timers dont know what to do generally and that's their biggest fears..i think that would help take some of that fear away.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Instead of writing a whole page of why I feel the way I do...I'll just say, no not mandatory but I'd have liked to have the option (maybe information at the dr's office on ones that are interested)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Mandatory, no, but optional, yes. I think many parents would take up the offer, if it were free. I personally would not want anyone comming into my home telling me what to do. before my first was born I spent the pregnancy researching as much of parenting as I could, and then asked a woman in my chruch whom I respected, and liked the way her children turned out, to come and mentor me. That was 5 years ago, and she still mentors me. But we have the same faith, and personallities, and disciplining ideas. My personal faith is intertwined with every aspect of my parenting, and I do not beleive that any person can teach parenting skills without their own beleifs creeping in.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Why would it make a difference if someone from another faith informed you about parenting? Do people of another faith have different ideas about nutrition or infant sleeping?
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2008