Can I let my son take a nap?

I took my son who is 2 to the park and we just got home a little while ago but while we were at the park my son fell on concrete and hit his head. I did put ice on it and I know you should usually keep your child awake for atleast an hour. He is tired and ready for his nap, is that okay or should I keep him awake?

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Vomiting is also a sign of a concussion so if he threw up, I'd be leary of letting him sleep. At this age, it's par for the course for them to take tumbles & get bruised up. It could just be that he's tired from the fresh air in combination with the upsetness from the fall. If you have any doubts, I'd call the dr. Better to be safe than sorry!
    Lo_and_Behold

Answer by Lo_and_Behold at 4:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If it was just a normal rough and tumble fall onto the concrete then I think it would be okay.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• BTW my daughter hits her head regularly! She doesn't try to catch herself she just lands on her head every day! lol ..She's a klutz.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• When my dd fell and hit her head really hard on a table, then a chair which resulted in a big ol goose egg, I called the dr and asked and she said just watch for signs of concussion: irritibility, cranky, listlessness. She said to let her sleep, but go in and tickle her feet to see if I could wake her a bit. Also, how hard did he hit his head? Did he cry right away? (that's a good thing) does he have a knot on his head? (Dr said that was also a good thing too, since it was better than a dent) and also, did he stop crying quickly or did he cry for a long time? Kids have hard heads, I am sure he's OK!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• He did cry right away and he does have a knot and after putting ice on it it didn't really go down much. He's done it before but didn't try to sleep after it.
    giovannismom19

Comment by giovannismom19 (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010