Bottle in bed...

I'm guilty to giving my son a bottle to go to bed with. I've been trying to correct that, but my boyfriend doesn't see why I'm doing it. He says he feels sorry for our son and he thinks that when he cries, he's in pain...so I was thinking about talking to him when he gets home. I was going to let him know that I will compromise with him, that if he is screaming his head off for awhile, he is allowed to give him a bottle of WATER. My boyfriend just thinks that it's stupid that I'm doing this at a year, and that I shouldn't listen to the doctor, he says what do they know, he had a bottle til he was 2. How does he know? I'm sure he doesn't remember. But I'm sick of fighting with him, and he screws up my progress by sneaking our son a bottle for naps..

Stephernie88

Asked by Stephernie88 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell him he can pay for the dentist bill when the baby gets rotten teeth!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Talk to him about bottle rot....
    Bottle Rot Pictures, Images and Photos

This pic should do the trick.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I've told him that, and asked him if he wanted me to show him pictures. Even offered to let him know he can pay the dentist bill. His excuse is "they are just baby teeth"
    Stephernie88

Comment by Stephernie88 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Oh boy! You are right here. He shouldn't be going to bed with a bottle. It's not good for their teeth and oral health.

Perhaps you could get your BF to read up on the topic. There's enough over and over out there about this topic and how bad it is. His parents may have put him to bed with a bottle - but it may have been because they didn't know any better. That doesn't mean it's right.
    LOOneyPLR

Answer by LOOneyPLR at 3:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Rotten baby teeth will affect the formation of adult teeth and if he loses baby teeth, there is nothing there to hold a place for adult teeth to come in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yeah, I know. He's got excuses for everything I throw at him. It got so bad, the arguing, that I was tempted to leave. It wasn't just that though that tempted me, there are other things that have been going on lately too.
    Stephernie88

Comment by Stephernie88 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• They might be just baby teeth - but that does also effect the tooth buds of the adult teeth behind them. Once the baby teeth start to rot - the rot spreads up into the tooth buds of the adult teeth.

My niece went through YEARS of dental pain. Her baby teeth were black by the time she was 3 so they had to pull several of them before their time. Her adult teeth came in already decayed and very crooked. She had to endure several tooth aches and fillings as each one came in and then years of braces and oral surgeries.

Needless to say - after seeing this - when I had my kids, they never went to bed with a bottle.
    LOOneyPLR

Answer by LOOneyPLR at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think I will try to talk to him and give him the information about the teeth again and hopefully he will agree with me. I fully understand, and I got him off the bottle in bed a month or 2 ago, but my boyfriend screws it up with him sneaking him bottles. It's really frustrating! Thank you for some more information though!
    Stephernie88

Comment by Stephernie88 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Out of my 7 children that I have raised and still raising I have had 1 with baby bottle teeth. It was not a pretty picture especially watching your 3 year old get 6 teeth pulled at the same time/ She was number 5 and needless to say the last 2 plus the 3 grandkids I am raising DO NOT take Bottles to bed with them.>>EVER
    Sassy762

Answer by Sassy762 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Plain and simple. If he cant listen and do whats best for baby, he doesnt need to interact with baby. Period. The excuses hes given are nonsense. Hes just lazy and doesnt wanted to be bothered with the whining of a crying kiddo that wants the bottle back. He had a bottle until he was 2..So what. Parents used to do all kinds of un recommended stuff to thier kids. Does that justify what hes doing? Nope. I would just lay down the law with him honestly. You are trying to do the right thing for your child and he isnt helping.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010