back in pull ups?

my son hasnt wore a diaper or pull up in 2 months. he is completely pee trained, but poops in his underwear every day no matter what (and suggestion on this would be great too!). i am going to a MOPS meeting tomorrow and he will be in there child care center. He stays home with me and has never been in a child care environment before. I'm afraid hes going to poo in his underwear while there, its around his normal time. Should I put him in a pull up so they don't have to worry about it in his underwear? I don't want to put anyone out more than they already will be considering I know he will scream when I leave him there. Also if you have any thoughts about how I can put him in the child care room without too big of a scene that would be great too :)

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 3:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• do you know anyone in the mops group? do they have kids your son has been acquainted with before? Familiarity is important for many kids! If he sees someone he recognizes or if the caretaker is VERY kid friendly he'll adjust just fine! as for pull ups, I'd put them on him just in case. Just remind him he is wearing "big kid" training pants
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If he is less than 2 he is too young to expect to be potty trained. Many boys don't potty train until they are 3. If he screams when you leave it sounds like he isn't ready for you to go. I know mom support groups are important but it may be better for him it you can find one that doesn't make you leave your child in another room.

If kids are pooping underwear what they can start doing is holding poop in and get impactions. These are very painful and can be huge problems getting over the medical problems and getting trained. The impactions can have to be removed by medical means. If he is upset going to child care situations just a few times of holding the poop in can start the problems. I suggest either becoming aware of poop signs so you can get him to the potty in time (elimination awareness) or going back to diapers.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have had quite a few children do this. The best way for me to get them completely out of pull ups whether for #1 or #2 is to be consistent in asking them repeatedly if they have to go to potty. I think I drove them crazy asking them all the time..literally every 20 minutes if they needed to go potty. I even did this if we were out in public. Its a PITA but it's the most effective way to get then completely trained .....well it was the most effective way to get the trained for our family
    Sassy762

Answer by Sassy762 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well i am definietly not putting him back in diapers, thats crazy. and he has been completely out of pull ups since we started training, they didnt help with training at all, just something he could pee in and not get messy. i really was just wondering if putting a pull up on him might back track his training. he never pees in his underwear, and a boy under 3 can be potty trained! hes almost 22 months, and the main reason he poops in his underwear is because he wants to use the big toilet and cant get up on it himself, and refuses help from me, he pees standing up by himself. haha, i still can't get over the whole put him back in diapers, the kid would be so confused if all of a sudden he wasnt allowed to pee in the potty. i cant image laying my almost 2 year old down and changing a diaper. theres nothing wrong with people waiting to potty train, but once they mastered peeing in the potty why go back! kinda a waste of time.
    sweetjpea

Comment by sweetjpea (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010