my almost 8 year old is crying a lot at school

I just found out my 7 and half year old is crying a lot at school. i tried to ask her why she won't tell me. says my eyes water a lot. and sometimes the boys make me cry because they run from me. i told her that boys will be boys. she has always cried even as a baby. but i am concerned if she having watery eyes what could be causing it. is there anything i can do to help her on all this and so she won't cry so much to. because if it is a little of both. she does have a eye appointment next week and i am going to bring up the watery eye part. any ideas?

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "sometimes the boys make me cry because they run from me" - she could stop chasing the boys.

glad you have an eye appointment to rule out any problems there, that's a good start.

findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 5:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• That is a bit concerning. I would start with the dr's appt. & also try to get her to talk more. You could take her out for an ice cream & have girl talk; hopefully she will open up
    HUGS!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have no idea. :(. I'm bumping it for ya though and hopefully someone will.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sounds like she is just very sensitive. Poor thing. Hopefully she will learn to hold her head high and not let things get to her as much. I was really sensitive at that age too.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• so far everything is the same as it has been she has always been sensitive but i did not know she was crying until she got star student and a little friend of hers wrote her a note and said although we aren't best friends you are my friend and i would like to know why you cry so much. she said tell your feelings out don't hold your heart on your sleeve. i love ya and your a sweet girl. i can't believe the teacher never contacted me about this going on.
    sherryb1273

Comment by sherryb1273 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Have you spoken to her teacher/teachers? They certainly should be made aware and perhaps they could give you some insight. Sometimes kids will tell teachers or other adults before their parents. Is there anything emotional going on at home - new family members, stressors, etc. that could be contributing to her emotional state? The school should have a person (or more) on staff that can talk to her and perhaps get her to open up if you can't. Give her the support (and find support) by researching what the school has to offer. Perhaps she is a victim of bullying - it happens very often and some kids are embarrased/reluctant to talk about it. Often, once a child is singled out as an easy target (especially ones who get emotional quickly), they get picked on even more. That would need to be addressed quick before it gets worse. You have to get to the root of the issue before you know how to deal with it. Good luck.
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ihatetocook you have no idea what is going on and you know what before you start dramatizing you should think before you speak. i talked to the teacher it is not that she is crying for no reason the boys ask her to play then pick on her. the school is trying to stop it.
    sherryb1273

Comment by sherryb1273 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Has anything happened recently that would make her upset? Maybe its hormones, or she could be suffering from depression, you should make an appointment with a therapist.
    inezmm2000

Answer by inezmm2000 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sounds like she's largely making her own problem, if she cries because the boys don't want to be bothered. And if she's trying to play with the boys who don't want to play with her, and then crying when they refuse or run from her, she's really setting herself up to be picked on for 2 behaviors - for being a pest and for being a crybaby. Have a talk with her about how she "makes friends" and who she chooses to play with and such. Before the other kids develop a habit of thinking of her in a negative way.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 8:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010