My twins are 8 weeks old. Can I safely cut their nails or should I try to file? I am SCARED

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 3:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can cut them, just be careful. Filing can actually cause the nail to tear.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Just file them. Unlike older children the skin is attached under the nail. Filing will be safer and you won't get the 'quick' of the nail.

I filed up to almost a year.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• you can cut them. get the baby clippers if you want. i used regular ones though...doesn't really matter.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You can cut their nails with a baby nail clippers. But honestly, my mom always bites them off of newborns because of how easy it is to catch their little fingers in the clippers. I know it sounds awful, but it works. I've done it with my own. Please don't flame me for that!
    TxBoxermomma

Answer by TxBoxermomma at 3:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• u can bite them off urself if u want or a file works! i cut my daughter a few times with the clippers so i file them and the bite off if i need too!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You can cut them or bite them off yourself. Wait till they are sleeping and life is easier that way. That what I did with my twins.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I always cut them with clippers once they fell asleep.
    hope4emma

Answer by hope4emma at 3:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'd always wait till my twins were sleeping to cut them. But sometimes it was just easier to bite them. I know it sounds gross...but it works.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Cut them while they are sound asleep.
    LOOneyPLR

Answer by LOOneyPLR at 3:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son is 8 weeks and I just clipped his toe and finger nails the other day. He had little claws. I had no problems but I learned with my older kids to slide the clippers under the nail to separate the skin. My husband bit them off most of the last few weeks and it was the first time I ever did his toes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010