Anyone know how to encourage myself to walk more

I need to lose a lot of weight for myself as well as so i can be here for my kids. i am changing my eating habits. my hubby bought me walking shoes but i live in the country and keep pyhsching myself out. any ideas to get totally motivated to walk.

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Health

• Blueliner is right. Also do you happen to like photography? If you do, that helps alot. I make a weekly walk around my area with my camera. (its going to be come daily because my son is now in school) I take out my camera & just walk, & honestly I loose track of time & I forget that Ive been walking. But thats just me. (I really like photography).

Another thing, if bring a friend. =) Walking in pairs is always good, or Walk with Hubby. Having a walking buddy makes it easier, You have some to talk to.

If you have an ipod or cd player load it with your favorite music & head out the door. Make sure you know how long the cd/play list is. & when you get half way through it, turn around & head home. Do 5 minute walks first, 10, 15 ect ect. It gets you into the habit easier
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 3:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The two things that work for me is, 1. A walking buddy. I get my husband to walk with me in the evening and sometimes the kids even join us. Walking as a family is a lot of fun. The second thing that works for me is rewards. Every time I increase my distance I reward myself with a small dessert. Hope this helps! (*^-^*)
    aemjjs

Answer by aemjjs at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't get to walk much because I'm lazy lol but when I do, I just do it, don't even think about it. I have a 13 month old that loves to people watch, so I take him on a walk to the park in his stroller. I just don't think about myself, I think about how my son will benefit it. If you have an ipod, put a bunch of up beat songs to listen to. Or if there is something a few miles away from you, walk there :)
    Stephernie88

Answer by Stephernie88 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• got a dog??? I dont live in the country but I do walk and take one or two dogs walking with me. Or get a friend to walk with. In order for the exercise to work you have to be motivated. I am motivated to the point that is all I think about. I have lost 55.5 pounds since april 1, 2010. I have 27.5 to go. Or if you have children take them with you, its good for them as it is for you and make it a family affair by taking hubby with as well.
    SusanL99

Answer by SusanL99 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Music is a great help. I'm a techno fan and the fast bassy beat helps me pick up the pace. I also like heavy metal and that will get you moving too. But really any type that you like will motivate you. I went on mapquest.com and mapped out a route to walk/jog in my neighborhood and there's also a way to see nearby parks on this website. Plus the sattelite view is so awesome! Anyway.. MAKE SURE YOU INVEST IN THE PROPER SHOES!!! I started jogging after I had my 2nd baby and we didn't have money for me new shoes so I started running in those shoes that look like sneakers put have open tops and straps over the top of your foot. I developed tendonitis in both knees it's painful when I jog. I was experiencing shin splints when running but always heard to push thru the pain BAD IDEA this helped cause my tendonitis. Not trying to discourage just be careful and listen to your body.
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 4:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Walk the dog... or find a park with nice trails to walk. I motivate myself (which isn't too hard since I like walking) by having destinations, walking to the store, walking to the park, etc but if you're out in the middle on no where that might not work lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• benefit from it*
    Stephernie88

• SusanL99 that is awesome. i would take my dog but she is hard to handle gets out of her harness and we are by the interstate out in the country. i have a whole lot to lose i am tired of always being tired and overweight. i want to be healthy and be here for my girls for a long time.
    sherryb1273

Comment by sherryb1273 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I walked for a bit then stopped.. and CANNOT get the zing to get up and go again..
    But I will tell ya.. The first 2-3 days you walk will be kinda hard. but you have to make yourself do it somehow... If you can do it for a few days... After that something crazy happens ---- You get the urge to walk!!! And you feel like its a must. Or that your day is missing something if you dont do it! :) ....
    We use to walk when DH got home from work.. I remember by the end of the 4th day, I was all fidgety by the time he got home. i was ready to go! NOW... and when we did stop walking (weather) for 2 days it sucked.. i was like a sad puppy who couldnt go outside.. But the weather cleared & by then i was lazy again :( and then texas weather hit & it got too hot.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Darn it. Lilmoose stole my answer :) I love to walk, so boredom isn't a factor for me. But I also love to take pictures and people watch so if I get a little behind, I take a camera along or go to a populated place, just for the boost.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 4:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010