Is this seen in all races...?

Have you ever seen The Ditch Digger's Daughters? Its about a black ditchdigger with a 10th grade education with 8 mouths to feed. He wanted all of his girls to become doctors. He became obsessed! I find that poorer black parents that desire for their children to do more seem to be very physically and emotionally abusive... (ie. Joe Jackson and the Jackson family)

Is this seen in all races...

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it has anything to do with race. It has to do with the person.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yes, it is. My mother dropped out, and was so abusive regarding school (and ironically, my being a doctor) that if I got a B in anything I would attempt to hide it somehow.

This came about after she broke a wall with my head for a b in math. In case you are wondering, I am white. I think that being poor coupled with a lack of intelligence/education is extremely stressful, leading to a consistent fight or flight response.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• IDK. I have met some scary white moms who get pretty mentally & emotionally abusive when trying to strive for their kids to excel beyond the average child. It's like they want their kids to make it rich so that they themselves can bank off of them.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• when ya said races I was thinking like Formula One..not skin color ...duh lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Absolutely. It has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with background/temperament.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:22 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My personal view.

It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. It has to do with the individual. How they communicate, how they handle pressure, how they instill expectations upon their children, how they react to whether or not those expectations are met..etc.. Each individual handles these types of things in their own way. Those ways are based on the individual, their life experiences, their own actions/reactions, their manner of communicating, their view of the world/life..ect...

These are the things that influence and cause someone to react/be that way. Not their race/ethnicity.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree its not race the individual. You could name an endless amount of other that have not done this and have great kids/adults.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2010