For the ADHD parents out there - what questions do you ask and think are important at the begining of the school year?

My son is in 5th grade - week one down and several to go, lol. School is hard for him - he is very inattentive. I have a meeting with his teachers (and para) tomorrow and was wondering what any of you would ask/talk about in the meeting. I need to go in prepared or I will forget half of what I want to say (always do). What do you feel is most important this time of year?

momofthreekjs

Asked by momofthreekjs at 3:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in

• 1st comes to mind is making sure he has an IEP in place.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I went in and just talked to my DS's 5th grade teachers and told them about behaviors I knew he could show and how to help them get past it. I told them that if he gets into trouble that he'll beat himself up more than they could and to tell him to sit down and "Knock it off", these are words he responds to and knows that he's out of line. Do you have anything that works with your son? If you do let them know, let them know if he's on meds., and any thing that can help the year pass easier. I told them that I'm always ready to help back them up at home with any problems if they just e-mail me. I also promised to let them know if anything was going on at home that could effect his emotions and/or behavior, like my father just had surgery and my parents live with us, so on that day he could have been a little more touchy. Just be open and ready to help. Good luck!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Also, if he is at all like my son (ADHD), he learns much better when listening if he can keep his hands busy. During 5th and 6th grade, his teacher would allow him to make paper footballs during "lectures and movies" This tactic really improved his listening skills believe it or not. It also allowed him enough movement to keep him from "fidgeting" and disrupting other kids during these times.
    laffin4fun

Answer by laffin4fun at 10:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The one thing I learned when approaching a conference with professionals medical or educational, write it all down, because I would for sure forget everything otherwise.
    Robin0406

Answer by Robin0406 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Write all your questions and concerns down so you don't forget anything and ASK ASK ASK
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010