Are cats or dogs better around children?

SUSAN81900

Asked by SUSAN81900 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We only have (2) cats, no dogs, but I would say it depends on the particular animal regardless of what kind. Our female cat is very good with our daughter & lets her yell in her face, lay all over her, pull on her tail, etc while our male cat runs away as soon as my 18 month old gets within 5 miles LOL I also had a very loving, loyal cat growing up. He would meet me at the bus stop, ride alongside of me when I was on my bike & would make sure I didn't go out in the street (he'd actually cut me off). So I definitely think the right kind of cats & dogs can both be wonderful w/kids.
    Lo_and_Behold

Answer by Lo_and_Behold at 4:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• like people, animals have differing personalities, so it really just depends on the inidividual animal.
    Both species can be great with kids, I grew up with both, we have both now
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I say dogs. My boys who are much older now had dogs growing up with them and they were wonderful with them. I could tell the dog to check on his baby and he would! LOL With our little girl, who is now 5, we have a cat and she is constantly scratching her or biting her nose. They fight like real sisters. hahaha
    Tiannas_Momma

Answer by Tiannas_Momma at 3:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• There are no incidences of children being eaten by cats, so I'd go with 'cats are safer.'

Three stories in the news in the past few months of dogs attacking and killing small children.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would say dogs. I am allergic to cats and I have always had dogs when my daughter was growing up. BUT my daughter has several cats and one dog now that she is out of the house. You have to do your research and homework when looking for a dog when you have children or if you have children who may visit from time to time. i.e. grandchildren or friends children.
    SusanL99

Answer by SusanL99 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Depends on the individual animal
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Our cats have always been very sweet to the kids. The one that isn't too keen isn't mean, he just avoids them.

The dogs love playing with the kids, but the older dogs tend to also avoid the kids. So its really up to the animal
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I actually trust dogs more. Especially bigger ones, lol, which sounds odd, but medium sized to larger sized dogs tend to care less when a child is rough. My dog just sits there and takes it. I'm scared smaller, yappier dogs, would snip easier, and with cats, I'm scared of my kid hurting them or of them scratching. Dogs, from what I've seen, enjoy kids more. Cats kind of put up with them, lol. Mine did anyway. They're not really built for play or handle being poked as well.

I love cats, too, don't get me wrong, but I just feel a dog is a better companion for younger children. They tend to be more durable and patient. Although my cat was always great with my little sister...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it depends on the age of the child...cats are around the newborns-toddler stage because they are calmer and more toleran, elementary school children do better with a more hyper animal; so dogs/puppies are better and more fun
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 5:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010