My 19 month old screams every time you brush his teeth!

My ds hates to have his teeth brushed. I thought that over time he would get used to it, but it is a daily struggle. I've tried different types of brushes, but he nothing makes it better. Does anyone have any tips that I could try to help make this daily task easier and less stressful for him?

mom2abby06

Asked by mom2abby06 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What type of toothpaste are you using??? If you use the children toothpaste and he likes the flavor, I guarantee you he will allow it easier. AND why don't you allow him to brush his own teeth the first time then you follow up to make sure its done properly
    Sassy762

Answer by Sassy762 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I also struggle brushing my sons teeth. He's become more resistant as he gets older.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• He loves the toothpaste we use and will try to lick it all off as soon as we hand him his brush. We do give him a chance to brush his teeth first, but that only lasts the first few seconds and he throws the toothbrush down. We always brush his teeth at the same time as my dd hoping he would see that she doesn't mind having her's done, but that doesn't help either.
    mom2abby06

Comment by mom2abby06 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• get him a dollar store tooth brush and let him carry it around and chew on it to become familure with :)
    laaalbers

Answer by laaalbers at 5:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My dd, also 19 months, hates it too! We gave her her own toothbrushes, and a minute or two to brush herself, her turn, then it's mommy's turn. Sometimes I sing to her to distract her. When daddy's home when I brush her teeth, he'll brush his, so she lets me do it so she can be "just like daddy". We also showed her how to "open big", so now she has a "job" to do when I brush. I remind her to "open big like daddy" and that helps a lot!!

Sometimes she'll just have none of it, so I have to hold her arms out of the way and do it as fast as I can while she screams. I hate doing it (never let her CIO), and I apologize the whole time, but it has to be done.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I ended up agreeing to let my daughter (just turned two) brush in the morning and I do the night brushing. In the morning, I sit her on the counter, turn on the water and brush my teeth with her. She does a pretty good job just mimicking what I'm doing. But at night....ugh. I have to lay her down on the changing table to brush her teeth while she thrashes around.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010