Does a 2.5 year old really need to go to preschool?

does it really make a difference?

SUSAN81900

Asked by SUSAN81900 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think the only benefit of preschool at that age would be to have the child learn how to listen to others, play nicely, how to empathize and communicate with other kids, and to be left with people other than mom and dad. If you have these covered and are enriching her day with learning and new experiences then I don't see a NEED. For kids who don't have the best home life I would say yes get them in a more positive environment but as long as home is like school and there is plenty of interaction with other kids and adults I don't see a real need.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• If you actually take the time necessary to communicate with your child, teach them language, environmental recognition, then no... what frightens me is when I see/hear people asking questions like "Why don't my 3 year old talk good? What am I posta do to help him on that cuz he don't talk good". Then, some people really shouldn't have children. There are *some* children who definitely benefit from being in a day care.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it's all about preference. I would have LOVED to get my little on in early like that for the social time. We have never lived anywhere with kids, so it would have been great. At the same time, its so hard to let go when they are so young. Now, at 5, she is in a Kindergarten-1st grade combination class and she really loves it and I truly enjoy the hours of personal time.
    Tiannas_Momma

Answer by Tiannas_Momma at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No, My Son is turning 4 next month and just started Preschool today. It's not necessary at 2 1/2 at all. I may even do two years of preschool depending on how he adjusts to it since he is not yet 4. Do what is right for YOU and your child.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I wouldn'tworry about it for another year yet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No. Your child will learn more from imaginative play than she will learn from preschool. I love preschool, but it is not necessary at that age.

MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 3:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No it is not necessary.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I was going to put my 2.5 year old in pre school but she would have only been gone for 2 hours and that didn't give me any time to get anything done, except take a shower and put the baby down for a nap, and then wake her up to go pick her up from school. So I'm waiting until next year to put her in it so it will be the 4 hour class for her.
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't think so. I think children actually learn more when they are with their parents who can read to them, sing to them, and teach them to count. My 2-year old grandson can sing the ABC song and count to 10. We teach him to count while pushing him in his swing out in the fresh air and sunshine.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Not necessary at all. My DD is 5 and had never been to preschool or anything like it and she is thriving in Kindergarten right now. I taught her more then she needed to know to prepare for Kindy.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 3:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010