am I reading this sewing pattern right? *lots of questions* TIA!

I've never actually followed a sewing pattern before. Sooo, I cut out the pattern and pin it (what type of pin is best?) to the fabric? Do I trim the pattern down to the size I want or should I just leave it be in case I want to make different sizes later on (or is that optional either way?)? Once I cut out the pattern is the extra paper useful for anything? I noticed the front part of the pattern is a "half" so does that mean I need to fold the fabric in half and trace the pattern on the folded edge? what do I do with the pattern when I'm done? Put it back in the envelope? Please try to answer every question lol. thanks!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Trim the pattern to the size you want. Throw away what you cut off unless you are really good at putting things back together. The front pattern piece likely goes on the fold of your fabric, which should be doubled. I leave the pattern attached until I am ready to sew each piece. Then put it back in the envelope. Follow the fabric lay-out for your size on the pattern instruction sheet. Oh, and use good quality sharp pins.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• 1. sewing pins
    2. leave extra cuz its not the real size u wear. if ur an 8 u will be a 10 in sewing world.
    3.no
    4.read the instructions to see if u need to fold it. it should say fold here on it if u need to.
    5. yes just fold it up and save it u might us it again!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• So... where did you get your sewing machine? Most stores will happily walk you through the basics of how to sew...

Not that I think this is going to be a lot of help, but, here goes:

Follow the instructions on the sheet that accompanies the pattern. There are technical marks for placing the pattern on a fold (a solid line which bends 90* at the ends and has arrows pointing at the edge) that is accompanied by the words 'place on fold'. Near the center of the pattern there are always cutting notes, like 'cut 2' as well as the 'grain line' which is to be carefully and correctly lined up the fabric's threads. The easiest way to do that is to pin one end of the grainline to the fabric, fold the paper along the line very sharply, and then spin the pattern back and forth until the whole edge lines up with a single thread. Sometimes the grainline is 'bias' which means 45* off from the thread lines...

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Open the tissue papers on a large surface like a table. The pattern will tell you what piece numbers you need. Find those and just cut them away from others, you don't need to cut on the lines. Now pile up all the pieces you need. If you don't think you will ever make the rest of the pattern, just throw the rest away. If you want to save the rest, fold on the folding lines and flatten and put back in envelope.

Pin (straight pins) pattern pieces on fabric following diagram. Pin close to the cutting line through all layers of fabric. It's easiest if you just cut your size (hopefully you got the pattern on sale for $1-$2).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Cont. It's best to use fabric or very sharp scissors to cut out the pattern after you have all the pieces pinned on. Throw away the tissue scraps. Leave the tissue pattern pieces on the fabric until you get to that piece in the sewing instructions. When you take the pattern piece off you can fold it up and put in envelope. I fold all the pieces for one thing together so if I want to make it again they are easy to find.

The pieces will tell you if you need to put them on a fold.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

Many people cut the papers to fit --some of the sizing is as little as 1/16th of an inch, which will make a BIG difference in sizes if you can't follow the cut line under the paper. Many people copy one size of the whole pattern onto other paper --waxed paper well taped together so it doesn't slip when you need it wider is the cheapest choice --and leave the pattern pieces as they're printed. You can copy the whole thing onto non-woven interfacing (not the iron-on kind), which you can buy wide enough to accommodate any size pattern piece, is see-through enough to copy easily and can be re-used more than tissue.\

I like extra-sharp long nickel pins. My daughter prefers glass-head short pins. Sharp is necessary. Stay away from the crap you see at discount stores --particularly threads.

Buy thread to match not just color but fabric type. Polyester threads cut cotton, so don't mix and match. Get good sharp scissors.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• all sewing patterns that I've ever seen include a layout of how to place the pieces on the fabric when you cut it out to get the most out of your fabric; whether to cut with the right side or wrong side of fabric facing up; and whether or not to fold the fabric when you cut it...

with baby clothes patterns I try to plan ahead if I want to have the same outfit in different sizes I cut out the biggest size first and then trim down the pattern for the smaller sizes
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010